- Slides: 19
CONTENTS………… WHAT ARE SOFT SKILLS ? IMPORTANCE OF SOFT SKILLS FOR STUDENTS ? HOW CAN YOU DEVELOP SOFT SKILLS ? WHAT ARE THERE SKILLS ? BEST BOOK FOR LEARNING SOFT SKILLS.
WHAT ARE SOFT SKILLS ? can be used to convey ideas These are skills that and messages in an effective manner. These skills can also be used to handle serious situations while taking care of overall scenario. The soft skills are very important in today's world where management and human resources are given prime focus. Soft Skills help to grow a powerful personality. It helps to stand out and to move forward in your every day activities to reach your goals. These skills are thus supposed to be used in every other situation,
IMPORTANCE OF SOFT SKILLS FOR STUDENTS ? Over 80% of respondents in each of the 4 populations (principals, parents, teachers and superintendents) indicated that it was equally as important to assess both academic and non academic skills. And the workforce seems to agree. The study noted previous research that demonstrated 60% of employers felt a broad range of skills were important for recent college graduates to achieve long-term career success. Having a nonacademic skillset is important for student-patients as well. The students who receive educational services in an alternative or hospital setting face a wide range of challenges that can impact their learning and ability to participate successfully in the social aspect of school and society as well. It is vital to the student’s success that they learn how to navigate and overcome personal challenges, and expand their social emotional skills to understand work around issues they may face as a result of, or in conjunction with, their diagnosis.
HOW CAN YOU DEVELOP SOFT SKILLS ? You can learn these skills by enrolling in various soft-skill courses at different institutions. You can also keep practicing the following habits to enhance them. Aim to be heard: To communicate effectively, it is essential that you are mindful of the other person’s wishes and sensibilities. You should avoid offensive language or remarks that might hurt the other person. Make sure you have an idea of what the other person wants to talk about before changing the topic of conversation. Make eye contact during face-to-face interactions: Direct eye contact provides assurance that you are paying attention to the other person. The recipient will feel more engaged in the conversation. Monitor your body language and observe others: Be conscious
You can develop these abilities over time by keenly observing how other individuals interact. You should follow their posture, gestures, tone of voice and eye contact to gather clues about their thought processes. Practice public speaking: If you feel uncomfortable with public interactions, try speaking in front of a mirror. With practice, your speech will flow more naturally. Be aware of your pace, tone and volume. Work on your listening skills: You must be a good listener to be a good communicator. Be aware of the urge to interrupt someone when they are talking. Always let the other person finish before putting your point across. Improve your written communication: You can take courses or join free workshops to improve your written communication skills. Anything you write should be clear
WHAT ARE THERE SKILLS ? 1. Listening Skills. 2. Positive Attitude. 3. Leadership Skills. 4. Communication Skills. 5. Inter-Personal Skills. 6. Intra-personal skills. 7. Decision-making. 8. Teamwork. 9. Creative Thinking. 10. Problem Solving.
1. Listening Skills………. . Surely, a good listener enjoys the highest degree of respect in a society. Students should rate this as the first skill that should be honed because it is very important while pursuing a higher education. One should hone this skill by involving actions such as nodding their head and making eye contact. With these skills, any student will be able to reach the heights that they have always dreamed of.
2. Positive Attitude………. . When the world is filled with many negative factors, one has to win hearts with a positive approach. Starting from teachers to friends, everyone will look for someone who drives the academic year with a positive attitude. Students have to hone this skill to maintain their friendly atmosphere with everyone at an educational institute. With a positive attitude, students should consider some key areas that will help them develop a positive attitude such as high energy, enthusiastic, confident, cooperative, patient, respectable, respectful and sense of humour.
3. Leadership Skills……. . For a student, one will always have decision to make. Whether she a follower or a leader. There will be opportunities like class election, and student union election and club president or representative leader that will test who the majority of people like and think should be a leader. But leaders can also come forth due to situations. Someone who is quick in thinking and can make the right decisions, coordinate other people and pull off an event or a situation with smooth functioning can spearhead as a leader. Leadership is an important soft skill, that a student can use further in their career.
4. Communication Skills……. . Be it a student or a working professional, this skill is required for every individual. This is a basic skill required for everyone to communicate. One has to understand how to face people who are aggressive and how to talk to people who can be sensitive. Students will find communication skills very helpful, if they develop them, as it will be useful in almost all the areas. Most of the services that careers offer deal with human beings in one way or another. Thus having good communication skills is not only important, it looks like a golden star on your resume.
5. Inter-Personal Skills……. . Once you understand yourself, you will start noticing how other people work. Skills that help you understand the intelligence and behavior of other people with whom you work are called interpersonal skills. These skills are helpful when it comes to working in groups. You will know how group dynamics work and how each person will react to a certain topic, so it will become easier for you put for the ideas in a certain manner so that it will be in your advantage.
6. Intra-personal skills……. . Skills that help you understand yourself, your emotional intelligence, your thoughts, beliefs and opinions on things are known as intra-personal skills. These skills help you mold yourself into better leaders, with adequate knowledge about yourself you will know your stand on many decisions and ideas. Only when you try to understand yourself, will you be able to understand the others. You will need them the most when you will have to work on certain tasks all by yourself, and when you need to know your strengths and weaknesses.
7. Decisionmaking……. . Students have to learn how to make decisions within the given time. By doing so they will have a stand of their own and will not have to depend on other people. By deciding which stream to pick, which electives to chose and which co-curricular activities they must go for, they learn what is best for them, which will form the foundation of this skill. Moreover, the people we choose as friends and the groups we mingle with also help us develop our personality. Even there, decision-making is important.
8. Teamwork………. . Teamwork is the most essential skill required at every stage of one's career. Working together will always help in producing more. Students must understand the importance of unity. In higher levels of work, people will have to work together, in doing so many times they will have to confront each other and argue.
9. Creative Thinking……. . Thinking creatively is of great importance as it leads to the expansion of the imagination. Students need to be creative in their approach in every aspect and it helps them understand the world in a better way and come up with answers that might give the rest of the world a new perspective. Ideation and creation are, thus, very elemental parts of education.
10. Problem Solving……. . Problem-solving will help in controlling situations that may get out of hand. This skill helps one come up with solutions for different scenarios. Improving your problem-solving skills is very important because we live in an uncertain world, where any sort of situation can turn into an unfavourable one. Students should know how to solve situational problems.
BEST BOOK FOR LEARNING SOFT SKILLS……… You can also pick up the skills by reading books. Several excellent books in the market make soft skills training look easy. This article suggests three books. ‘The Hard Truth About Soft Skills’ by Peggy Klause: This book provides a step-by-step approach to learning communication, selfmanagement and social skills to succeed in a workplace. ‘Bridging the Soft Skills Gap’ by Bruce Tulgan: This book deals with the skills required to navigate professional set-ups. The book is written in a simple language and is easily understandable. ‘Soft Skills Training’ by Frederick H Wentz: This is a workbook to develop skills for employment; the book focuses on developing a positive attitude, self-discipline and problem-solving. This book is helpful for students who are new to the professional space.