- Slides: 34
How to identify fake journals
How to identify fake journals Prepared by Dr. Abbas Burhan Qadir Salahaddin University Modified by Dara Al-Banna Hawler Medical University
Writing and Publishing of Articles Before preparation Article preparation Publishing Revision and Schedule your writing Research article time structure Start with outline Referencing Identifying sources Title page Analyzing written Figures and Table Reasons of rejections research Language: Useful words Final proofread and Selecting a journal and phrases copyediting proofreading Cover letter Response to reviewer
Quality Indicators of Scientific Research
1. Journal Impact Factor…. Eugene Garfield Sharma OP (2007) Journal impact factor: an essential primary quality indicator. Curr Sci 93(1): 5
THE THOMSON REUTERS JOURNAL SELECTION PROCESS 1. Basic publishing standards Peer Review, Ethical Publishing Practices, Publishing Format, Timeliness…etc 2. Editorial content 3. International focus 4. Citation Analysis
2. h-Index the most rigorous quality indicator of scientific research Hirsch JE (2005) An index to quantify an individual’s scientific research output. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102(46): 16569– 16572 http: //klab. smpp. northwestern. edu/hindex. html
Fake Journals A "fake" or "shady" journal is a low quality journal that does little or no quality control. They are often called "predatory" because they prey on people who are under a lot of pressure to publish, charging high author fees for promises of quick publication.
Spatial distribution of some of the recently hijacked scientific journals
Fake journals The journals that have no real existence and have a website to simply abuse the researchers The fake journals that impersonate the title of a well -known journal and establish a fake website
The biggest journal hijacking in the history of academic publishing: Title Journal No. 1: Natura, ISSN: 00280631 Title Journal No. 2: Doriana, ISSN: 04179927 Title Journal No. 3: CAHIERS DES SCIENCES NATURELLES, ISSN: 14204223 Title Journal No. 4: Mexican Journal of international studies, ISSN: 1237484 X
Features of the Fake Journals
1. Mainly, they attach themselves to Europe and the West. + the names of such journals commonly contain grand adjectives e. g. world, international and global
2. They publish the papers without any revision or peer-revision process.
3. They have a broad advertisement plan in the form of spam E-mails They never mention the requested fee in order to publish the papers on their sites, and notify the authors privately in a separate letter
4. They have weak websites with a simple submission format.
5. Generally, they have no specific scientific scope and work in a multidisciplinary way.
6. The period between submitting and publishing the papers is very short.
7. Commonly, they publish repetitive papers or even papers from other journals.
8. Volume of the journal
9. The editorial board is very small or “coming soon. ” 10. The journal says an issue will be available at a certain time, but the issue never appears. 11. There are fundamental errors in the titles and abstracts 12. The content of the journal varies from the title and stated scope. 13. A publishing company, a professional association, a scholarship association, or a university. Reputable publishers will never publish fake journals
The Advertisement Techniques of the Fake Journals
1. Name and its impact factor (In this type of E-mail, the impact factor of the original journal is mentioned)
2. Presenting the ISSN of the original journal 3. Notifying that the journal is a multidisciplinary one 4. The journal’s address (In this field the true address of the original journal is written) https: //www. site 24 x 7. com/find-websitelocation. html, https: //www. iplocation. net/
5. Journal index
These journals have the following terms: 1. The journal is indexed in ISI and has the impact factor xxx 2. The journal belongs to a non-English country 3. The journal has no well-known publisher
The Assurance of Journals’ Precision
Sending the paper to journals recommended by an expert in the field have a special scope well-known publishers such as Elsevier, Springer…etc. DOI
scopus indexed journals list
Top 10 tips How to identify fake research journals /// Summary