- Slides: 14
Reported speech หรอ Indirect speech �������� Direct speech ���� Quoted speech ��������� direct speech ��������� quotation marks ���� Trevor: I’m tired. Wasn’t it Greta Garbo who said ‘I want to be alone’?
���������� direct speech ���� indirect speech 1. ���������� that ���� conjunction ���� Wasn’t Greta Garbo who said that she wanted to be alone? Claire replied that she didn’t love Henry. 2. ����� pronoun ����������
3. ��� reporting verb ����� tell ���� say 3. 1 ��� tell ����� object ���� The boss told then they could leave early. Carl tells me he’s ready. ��� tell ������ tell a story tell the truth tell a lie
3. 2 ��� say ������� object ��� The boss said they could leave early. Carl says he’s ready. ��� say ������� object ���� say…to ���� The boss wanted to say something to all of them. What did Pamela say to you?
4. ������ reporting verb ���� present ���� future ������ verb, adverb ���� tense ��������� reporting verb ���� past ����� tense, modals ��� adverbs �������� direct indirect Present simple Present continuous Present perfect Past simple Past continuous Past perfect Past simple (fact) / past perfect (������� ) Past perfect continuous
direct indirect will would shall can may must or have to this these here now should could might had to that those there then
direct today tonight last… (week, year) yesterday tomorrow next… (week, year) ago indirect that day that night the… (week, year) before/ the previous … (week, year) the day before the next day/ the following day the following… (week, year) before
���� reporting verb ������ assume (that) discover (that) guess (that) hope (that) learn (that) predict (that) realize (that) suspect (that) believe (that) dream (that) hear (that) know (that) notice (that) prove (that) suppose (that) think (that)
5. 2 ��������� whquestions ����� wh-question ������ conjunction ���������� ����� Bob said ‘Where do you live? ’ Bob asked me where I lived.
6. ���������� reported speech ������ subject ���� modal ���� adverb ������� to-infinitive ������� reported ��� to ���������� conjunction ��������� ��� not ����� to-infinitive reporting verb ���������� advise someone to tell someone to invite someone to allow remind someone to encourage someone to order someone to beg ask someone to warn someone to permit someone to challenge
������ reporting verb ���������� Joe said ‘Please come to my party. ’ Joe invited me to come to his party. My teacher said ‘ I think you should take another English course. ’ My teacher advised me to take another English course. Bill said ‘Don’t touch that hot pot’. Bill warned me not to touch that hot pot.