- Slides: 18
SARAH. S AG-5
POETRY, DRAMA & FILM
POETRY Poetry is a written art. Poetry is a literary work of a person in a message delivered diction and written patterns
Elements of Poetry • Imagery is the name given to the elements in a poem that s senses. Despite "image" being a synonym for "picture", imag be only visual; any of the five senses (sight, hearing, touch, can respond to what a poet writes. • Rhytm The word rhythm is derived from rhythmos (Greek) whic “measured motion. ” Rhythm is a literary device that demo
• Sound devices are resources used by poets to convey and reinforce the meaning poetry through the skillful use of sound. • Density is what sets poetry apart from prose (normal speech patterns/ the way f books are written) Density is how much is said in how little of space. The ability t conform to traditional grammar styles, and incorporate sounds and rhythms is unique • Line A line is a unit of language into which a poem or play is divided, which operate principles which are distinct from and not necessarily coincident with grammatical s
Genres of Poetry • Lyric poetry is a formal type of poetry which expresses per emotions or feelings, typically spoken in the first person • Narrative poetry tells stories through verse. Like a novel or a a narrative poem has plot, characters, and setting • Dramatic
DRAMA In literature, a drama is the portrayal of fictional or nonfictional events through the performance of written dialog (either prose or poetry). Dramas can be performed on stage, on film, or the radio. Dramas are typically called plays, and their creators are known as “playwrights” or “dramatists. ”
Types of Drama • Comedy – Comedies are lighter in tone than ordinary works happy conclussion. • Tragedy – Tragic dramas use darker themes, such as dis death. • Farce – Generally, a farce is a nonsensical genre of dram overacts or engages slaptick humor. • Melodrama – Melodrama is an exaggerated drama, which is
Function of Drama is one of the best literary forms through which d can directly speak to their readers, or the audience, an receive instant feedback of audience. A few dramatist charachters as a vehicle to convey their thoughts and valu poets do with personas, and novelists do with narrators.
FILM Film is an audio-visual medium of communication to convey a message to a group of people assembled at a specific location.
Types of Film • Action films Action film is a film genre in which the protagonist or protag thrust into a series of events that typically include violence fighting, physical feats, and frantic chases. • Comedies A comedy film is a genre of film in which the main emphasi on humor. These films are designed to make the audience lau amusement and most often work by exaggerating charac
• Romantic films Romance films or romance movies are romantic love storie visual media for broadcast in theaters and on TV that focus on pas and the affectionate romantic involvement of the main chara journey that their love takes them through dating, courtship or mar • Rom-coms Romantic comedy (portmanteaus: romedy, romcom, rom-co lovecome) is a subgenre of comedy and slice-of-life fiction lighthearted, humorous plot lines centered on romantic ideas, suc love is able to surmount most obstacles.
• Musical film is a film genre in which songs sung by the are interwoven into the narrative, sometimes accompanied b • Dramas Drama Films are serious presentations or stories with se situations that portray realistic characters in conflict themselves, others, or forces of nature. • Period films or historical dramas (film set in another histori Period films are often called by different names, like per costume dramas, historical films and heritage films. Used in
• War films War film is a film genre concerned with warfare, typically a air, or land battles, with combat scenes central to the drama. • Horror films A horror film is a film that seeks to elicit fear for entertainm purposes. [ • Science fiction (Sci-Fi or SF) Science fiction film (or sci-fi film) is a genre that uses spe fictional science-based depictions of phenomena that are not f by mainstream science, such as extraterrestrial lifeforms,
Element of Film • Literary design The story ideas include the characters and their actions in th setting of the story, and any background story or subtext. The sc the dialog and some broad actions for the characters. • Visual design consists of what we see on screen/inside the frame, a very bro of components. - Performance includes the actor’s mannerisms, expre movement.
- Lighting includes the amount of light, the specific areas illuminated, the shadows, and the quality of light as in soft The lighting can contribute to perception, meaning, and mood - - Hair and makeup of the actors adds to the storytelling. includes special effects makeup like wounds, blood or fa Somebody has to make those zombies look real. - - Costume is what the actors wear. Period films will try to c look of the time with costumes. - - Set design consists primarily of the how the room or space
• Cinematography deals with the choices that are made for the camera placement of the camera, the camera angle toward the subject, the len the camera movement. Each of these choices has an affect on the record how the viewer perceives (consciously or unconsciously) that image. • Editing is the sequencing of the shots in the film. Editors decide on th the duration of shots, the visual transitions from scene to scene, and visu • Sound design deals with the sound components, what we hear in th editing, sound effects, and music contribute to the story. Mood,