- Slides: 16
Romeo and Juliet Act IV Scene i
1. Why does Paris think he should marry Juliet? • Paris thinks it will stop Juliet from being sad about Tybalt’s death.
2. How does Juliet treat Paris? • She wards off his attention and will not profess her love to him.
3. What does Juliet say she would rather do than marry Paris? • Juliet would rather stab herself, jump off a building, be chained with bears, be covered in dead people’s bones and hide in a dead man’s grave.
4. What is Friar Lawrence’s plan to keep Juliet from marrying Paris and to reunite her with Romeo? • Juliet will take a potion that makes her appear dead. • She will be put in a vault. • Friar Lawrence will send a letter to Romeo telling him of the plan. • Romeo will come to the tomb to take her to Mantua with him.
Romeo and Juliet Act IV Scene ii
1. What are the Capulets preparing for? • Juliet’s wedding.
2. What does Juliet tell her parents? • Juliet says she has gone to confession, asked forgiveness for her sins and begs her parents to pardon her.
3. Lord Capulet is so excited by Juliet’s news that he decides to do what? • He changes the wedding to Wednesday.
Romeo and Juliet Act IV Scene iii
1. Why does Juliet tell the Nurse she wants to spend the night alone? • She says she wants to pray and continue asking forgiveness for her sins.
2. What reasons does Juliet come up with as to why she should not drink the potion? • The potion may not work. • The potion may be a trick by the friar to kill Juliet. • Juliet may wake before Romeo gets to her and she will be alone in the tomb. • She starts to get creeped out.
3. Why do you think she decides to drink the potion anyway. • No right/wrong answers. Your opinion goes here.
Romeo and Juliet Act IV Scene iv-v
1. What is the Capulet family’s response to Juliet’s supposed death? • They are devastated and grievously sad.
2. How does Paris react to Juliet’s death? What can we infer (assume) from this? • Paris feels incredibly sad. • He really loved her.