- Slides: 31
with God’s Guaranteed “Fail Proof” Plan June 28, 2009
2 Peter 1: 5 -11 5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins. 10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into
God’s Guaranteed Fail-Proof Plan 8 Godly Attributes you need in your Life: Ø Starts with Faith Ø Perseverance Ø Virtue Ø Godliness Ø Knowledge Ø Brotherly Kindness Ø Self Control Ø Love
You must have a Desire… “Where there’s a will, there’s a way. ” Ø Ø You must have a desire to apply God’s Guaranteed “Fail. Proof” Plan in your life. 2 Peter 1: 5 “But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge” v. 10 - Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent Are you willing?
1. Starts with Faith! What is Faith? F - Forsaking A - All I -I T - Trust H - Him Ø Strong conviction based on hearing Ø Ø Hebrews 11: 1 Reliance on Christ for salvation Faith= Belief (same Greek word) Hebrews 11: 6
2. Virtue Ø What is Virtue? ØMoral goodness ØMoral courage- the determination to do what is right
Virtue- Philippians 4: 8 8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy- meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
The Fruit of The Spirit Galatians 5: 22 -23 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
3. Knowledge Ø The Knowledge Christians need today is the Knowledge of God’s will and what He would have for us to do in our lives.
Knowledge is Very Important Ø Knowledge is important Ø Ø Leads to Eternal Life Ø Ø John 17: 3 Without it, we are living in Darkness Ø Ø 2 Peter 1: 5 -11 Proverbs 19: 2; Ecclesiastes 2: 14 Knowing His will lead to being “neither barren nor unfruitful. ” Ø 2 Peter 1: 8
Biblical Examples/ Characters Ø Jonah Ø Ø Abraham Ø Ø Jonah 1 -3 Genesis 22 Paul Ø 2 Timothy 2: 15
4. Self Control Ø There are so many aspects of our lives that need to be controlled: Ø Tongue Ø Ø Lust of Eyes/ Flesh/ Pride of Life Ø Ø James 3: 2 (Bridle/control whole body) Romans 6: 12 Drinking, etc. Make it personal in your life!
Biblical Examples/ Characters Ø Uriah in Battle Ø Ø 2 Samuel 11: 11 Joshua and his Family Ø Joshua 24: 15 (commitment to God takes self control)
5. Perseverance Ø What is Perseverance? Ø Ø Ø Endurance Pressing on Running your race with consistency and constancy Ø 2 Timothy 4: 7 -8: 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.
The Importance of Being Perseverant Philippians 3: 12 -14: 12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
The Importance of Being Perseverant Revelation 3: 11 Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown. Warning: Ephesians 4: 14 -15: We no longer need to be immature but grow in Christ!
Biblical Examples/ Characters Ø Job Ø Ø Faith challenged; Family and wealth taken away; yet never failed or stumbled Noah Ø Preached for 120 years and only 8 souls saved
6. Godliness Ø What is Godliness? Ø Ø Ø Simply: God- like- ness Having an attitude well pleasing to God Following all of God’s Commands
Importance of Being Godly Ø Godliness is profitable for Everything! Ø Ø Ø Living Godly leads to Great Gain Ø Ø 1 Timothy 4: 7 -8 Opposite: Mark 8: 36 1 Timothy 6: 6 Brings you Safety and Security Ø 1 Peter 3: 13
Biblical Examples/ Characters Ø Ø Ø Noah Job Perseverance leads to Godliness as shown in these two stories.
7. Brotherly Kindness Ø What is Brotherly Kindness? Ø Ø Ø Brotherly Love for your Brothers and Sisters in Christ Tenderheartedness Generosity Helpfulness
The Importance of Being Kind to the Brethren Ø Jesus is our standard Ø John 15: 12 -13: 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
The Importance of Being Kind to the Brethren Ø Since we are “The Elect” we are Commanded: Ø Colossians 3: 12 12 Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering;
The Importance of Being Kind to the Brethren Ø Ø Ephesians 4: 32 32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Romans 12: 10 10 Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another.
8. Love Ø Ø Ø Love: Greek word: “agape” (derivative of agape) Unconditional Love for the brethren isn’t enough, we must show love to all men because of the love He has shown for us. (Jesus being our standard)
Importance of Love Ø Ø Matthew 22: 37 37 Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. ’ Preserves the Faithful/ Keeps you grounded in your Faith Ø Psalms 31: 23 Joshua commanded the Israelites Ø Joshua 22: 5 Leads to Perfection Ø Colossians 3: 14
God’s Guaranteed Fail Proof Plan for Your Life Ø Ø Without being diligent and adding these attributes to your lives, you WILL fail! 2 Peter 1: 9 -10 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins. 10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble.
God’s Guaranteed Fail Proof Plan for Your Life Ø Ø Ø Ø Starts with Faith! Virtue Knowledge Self control Perseverance Godliness Brotherly Kindness Love
God’s Guaranteed Fail Proof Plan for Your Life Ø When we persist in our efforts to Maturity: Ø Ø We are promised a Fruitful Life We Ensure our Salvation We prevent ourselves from Falling away We are promised a Heavenly Home
God’s Guaranteed Fail Proof Plan for Your Life Have you ensured your Salvation Today? Have you put into action and accepted God’s Guaranteed Fail Proof Plan in your life?
Is Your Salvation Sure? Ø Ø Ø Starts with Faith! Ø Hebrew 11: 6 Leads to Repentance Ø Luke 13: 3 Confession of Faith Ø Matthew 10: 32 -33 Baptism into Christ Ø Mark 16: 16; Acts 2: 38 Persevere in your life; Press on toward the Goal; Try your hardest not to stumble! Ø Philippians 3: 12 -14; Revelation 3: 11