What is the most basic thing we can say about God?
Trinity v. The Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit in perfect unity: v. God in Eternal Communion v. God is Love
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. Relational Spiritual Rational Emotional Functional
But. . . Are women created in God’s image in the same way that men are?
God Depicted in Female Images
Mother "I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself” (Ex. 19: 4, Job 39: 27 -30)
Mother Deuteronomy 32 1. Cosmic level declaration 2. Verse 18: not ‘fathered you’ but ‘gave you birth’
Mother v Suckling her children (Num. 11: 12) v Midwife (Ps. 22: 9 -10 a, 71: 6; Isa. 66: 9) v Nursing her child Isa. 49: 14 -15) v Comforts her children (Isa. 66: 12 -13) v Births and protects Israel (Isa. 46: 3 -4) v Seamstress making clothes for Israel to wear (Neh. 9: 21)
Mother Isaiah 46: 3 -4 1. Context 2. God portrayed in vs 3 -4 : God’s maternal bond of compassion and maternal power to protect guarantee Israel’s salvation.
Mother � Life Giving � Strong � Protective � Resourceful
Jesus v God as a woman working leaven into bread (Lk. 13: 18 -21). This feminine image is equivalent to the image of God as masculine in the preceding parable of the mustard seed. v The hen (Mt. 23: 37; Lk. 13: 34; cf Ruth 2: 12) "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not. " v God as a woman seeking a lost coin (Lk. 15: 8 -10). This feminine image is equivalent to the image of God as masculine in the preceding parable of the shepherd seeking a lost sheep. Both Luke 13 and 15 contain paired masculine and feminine images for God, drawn from activities of Galilean peasants.
The Holy Spirit (in Hebrew, feminine; in Greek, neuter) is often associated with women’s functions: the birthing process (Jn. 3: 5; cf. Jn. 1: 13, 1 Jn. 4: 7 b, 5: 1, 4, 18), consoling, comforting, an eschatological groaning in travail of childbirth, emotional warmth, and inspiration.
Ps 139: 13 -17 13 “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
Decisions & Commitments
�Why did God make me a woman? Am I grateful for this? �How can women image God at home, church, community, world? �What do I need to repent and change about my womanhood? �What does my church need to change about this? �How can my church share this good news to other women?
Recite to one another: My God created me in His very own image! God created you in his very own image! Our God created us, women, in the image of the Father, the Son, and the Spirit in One- the Trinity.
Biblical Examples �Rahab �Zelophehad’s daughters �Deborah �Hannah �Ruth �Abigail �Esther �Mary �Samaritan Woman �Phoebe �Lydia
Given how God created me in his very own image and that God has saved me from sin and death to eternal life through Jesus Christ in the empowering presence of the Holy Spirit, how may I live my life?
1. Victoriously with assurance ! The End that is ours to claim; The Promise to be fulfilled; The Best that is coming soon! Not victims, losers, weaklings
4 In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (Phil 1)
�Phil 3 Press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus �Christ’s exaltation (Phil 2) �New Heaven and New Earth (Rev 21) �Infinitely, unimaginably more to come!!!
2. By Faith �Not by sight but by faith in Jesus Christ �Not by positive thinking but by praying according to God’s will revealed in the Bible �Not by might but by the Spirit of God �Whether married or single �From where I am �Just as I am �Not later, but NOW
3. In a manner worthy of the gospel of Jesus Christ 29 For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him, 30 since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have. (Phil 1)
4. Following the footsteps of Jesus Christ 20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (Phil 1)