WarmUp Write this on a piece of paper

  • Slides: 14
Download presentation
Warm-Up Write this on a piece of paper that you can turn in with

Warm-Up Write this on a piece of paper that you can turn in with your article. • What is the name of your article? • What source did you get this article from? • Which of the 4 branches of Earth Science does your article fall under?

Vocabulary • • System Hydrosphere Atmosphere Climate Biosphere Ecology Economy Lithosphere – Geosphere •

Vocabulary • • System Hydrosphere Atmosphere Climate Biosphere Ecology Economy Lithosphere – Geosphere • Organism • Environment • • • Observation • Repeatable Conclusion • Constant • Unbiased Hypothesis Experiment Analyze Results Variable Independent Variable Dependent Variable Control

Earth Systems

Earth Systems

4 Systems • Biosphere • Lithosphere • Hydrosphere • Atmosphere

4 Systems • Biosphere • Lithosphere • Hydrosphere • Atmosphere

Biosphere • All organisms on Earth as well as the environments that they live

Biosphere • All organisms on Earth as well as the environments that they live in. • Most organisms live within a few meters of Earth’s surface, although there are some that live deep below. • No other planet has a biosphere because Earth is the only planet with confirmed life.

Hydrosphere • The Hydrosphere is made up of the water in the Earth’s oceans,

Hydrosphere • The Hydrosphere is made up of the water in the Earth’s oceans, seas, lakes, rivers and glaciers as well as in the atmosphere! • FYI: 97% of Earth’s water exists as salt water. The remaining 3% is freshwater contained in glaciers, lakes, rivers and as groundwater. On top of that about three fourths of all freshwater is contained in glaciers and icebergs.

That means less than 1% of Earth’s water is actually available for consumption!

That means less than 1% of Earth’s water is actually available for consumption!

Atmosphere • The atmosphere is made up of gases that surround our planet like

Atmosphere • The atmosphere is made up of gases that surround our planet like a blanket! • The Earth’s atmosphere is necessary for us to be able to BREATH! It also protects us from the radiation from the sun. • The Atmosphere keeps the temperature at a relative constant that is suitable for life. • The atmosphere contains: – 78% nitrogen, 21% Oxygen and 1% other stuff like water vapor, argon, and CO 2.

Lithosphere • The rigid outer shell of the planet. • This includes: – The

Lithosphere • The rigid outer shell of the planet. • This includes: – The crust – The mantle - the solid layer below the crust. • There are 2 types of crust: – Continental- which is mostly made of granite. – Oceanic- mostly basalt, a rock that is more dense than granite.

Lithosphere • Some of the upper mantle behaves like a molten, soft plastic. This

Lithosphere • Some of the upper mantle behaves like a molten, soft plastic. This molten layer is the Asthenosphere. The lower layer is solid. • Beneath the mantle is the core which also has 2 parts: outer – which is liquid inner – which is solid

Which of the 4 systems does each picture belong?

Which of the 4 systems does each picture belong?

All 4 of these systems interconnect! You and I are part of the BIOSPHERE,

All 4 of these systems interconnect! You and I are part of the BIOSPHERE, We live on the Crust which is part of the LITHOSPHERE We breathe ATMOSPHERE And we drink and swim in the HYDROSPHERE

Think about it? • What are some examples of how humans impact each of

Think about it? • What are some examples of how humans impact each of the major Earth Systems? • Give me at least 3 examples of how each of these affect you.

HOMEWORK • Get Notebook together and have in class on Friday. • Vocabulary words

HOMEWORK • Get Notebook together and have in class on Friday. • Vocabulary words are due on Wednesday (6/7) Friday ( ¾) completed in the correct format in your notebook.