- Slides: 12
Wagga Livestock Marketing Centre History CSU Regional Archives Summer Research Scholarship 2004 -2005 Sally Huckel Photo courtesy of CSURA Tom Lennon Collection.
Brief History of Livestock Marketing in Wagga • 1855 - Storekeeper George Forsyth conducted sales on a monthly basis. • Early 1860’s - Livestock marketing was relocated to the Pastoral Hotel in Fitzmaurice Street. • 1891 - The yards were moved to the already established Travers Street Yards. The Wagga Munipal Council acquired the yards from Alexander Thorley Bolton. • 1958 - Council purchased a new site at Bomen from grazier Fred Lewington. • 1977 - Construction of the Bomen Livestock Marketing Centre started. • 1979 - First sale at the Wagga Livestock Marketing Centre took place on Tuesday, 6 November 1979.
Photo courtesy of John Knight, Wagga Livestock Marketing Centre.
Collections Used • CSU Regional Archives Tom Lennon collection (RW 1574) Dunn family papers (RW 256) The Rural newspaper photographic negatives (RW 1609) The Daily Advertiser photographic negatives (RW 17) • Ian Harrison. Partner, RH Blake & Co. • Bernie Noonan. Auctioneer, AML&F / Noonan’s Livestock. • David Matheson. Elders. • John Flanagan. Landmark. • Keith Le Lievre. Former Manager, Dalgety’s Wagga. • John Knight. Executive Officer, Wagga Livestock Marketing Centre.
Photo courtesy of CSURA Tom Lennon Collection.
1915 - Stock Sale at corner of Sturt Street and Fitzmaurice Street Photo courtesy of CSURA Dunn family papers.
1933 - Record Yarding 51, 500 Photo courtesy of Ian Harrison. RH Blake & Co.
1936 - Travers Street Yards Photo courtesy of David Matheson. Elders.
c. 1965 - Un-muzzled Dog Photo courtesy of CSURA Tom Lennon Collection.
1966 - Dick Bowen, Auctioneer Photo courtesy of CSURA Tom Lennon Collection.
c. 1979 - 1985 - Cattle in ring at Livestock Marketing Centre (2, 500 head sold) Photo courtesy of Bernie Noonan’s Livestock.
c. 2000 - Sheep buyers at Livestock Marketing Centre Photo courtesy of John Knight. Wagga Livestock Marketing Centre.