- Slides: 64
Vocab 8 Voc 8
ASPIRE Link: retire verb To hope to achieve; to seek a goal Aspiration noun Jim ASPIRED to RETIRE early and become a man of Voc 8
citadel noun A fortress overlooking a city; a stronghold Link: sit well It pays to SIT WELL on the edge of a CITADEL. Voc 8
obtuse Link: noose adj Insensitive; block-headed, slow in compression Don’t be OBTUSE, the thief gets the NOOSE, not the Voc 8
scrutinize verb To look very carefully; to examine Link: screw eyes scrutiny noun US custom official have SCREW EYES when they SCRUTINIZE Voc 8 baggage.
doldrums Link: doll drums noun A period or condition of depression or inactivity All covered with dust, the DOLL DRUMS were in DOLDRUMS. Voc 8
congenial adj Pleasant to be around; social, agreeable congeniality noun Link: jeans Folks in JEANS are very Voc 8
Consensus noun General agreement Link: sends us We are in CONSENSUS, this guy SENDS US. Voc 8
blather verb To talk nonsensi cally Link: lather Karen and Allison BLATHERED until their mouths LATHERED. Voc 8
fjord Link: ford noun A long narrow inlet from the sea between steep cliffs or hills FORDS in a FJORD. Voc 8
MARTYR Link: harder Noun/verb Someone willing to sacrifice and even give his/her life for a cause; also one who pretends suffering to martyrdom noun gain sympathy It’s HARDER to be a MARTYR! Christ was martyred on the cross. Voc 8
Vocab This is tell This is SNOTT This only tells information about the concepts in the sentence This side gives the reader something to SEE in the words of the sentence ASPIRE I aspire to go to an excellent college outside of California. I aspire to go to a diamond of an institution outside of California’s blue skies and clogged asphalt. CITADEL The soldiers lay siege to the citadel. The soldiers strangled the citadel with a siege, suffocating it’s weekly breath of trade goods and news from the outside. 8
Greek + Latin WORD PARTS Know these, know 1000’s! Voc 8
1 Word root Meaning pod foot Word Roots: Your chart Related words Word studies podiatrist iatry ist Foot doctor Healing One who practices psychiatry guitarist tripod tri Three-legged stand three podium podion One-footed platform Footed structure Voc 8
1 Word root Meaning homo Same, alike Word Roots: Your chart Related words Word studies homogeneou gene -ous Basic part having s amorous Made of same parts homophobia Fear of another human beings (who are homosexual) homicide -cide Killing of same species killing Voc 8
Word root 1 Meaning hetero Different, other Word Roots: Your chart Related words Word studies heterogeneou gene -ous Basic part having s Having differing makeup/members geneology amorous heterosexual Romantic with opposite sex heterosphere Upper atmosphere Air encircling the earth Voc 8
GUM This week Vocab 8
Vocab Quick quiz 8 Voc 8
1. To talk nonsensically Voc 8
2. General agreement Voc 8
3. A period or condition of depression or inactivity Voc 8
4. Pleasant to be around Voc 8
5. A fortress overlooking a city Voc 8
6. Something one hopes to achieve Voc 8
7. To look very carefully Voc 8
8. Insensitive; block headed Voc 8
9. A long narrow inlet from the sea between steep cliffs or hills Voc 8
10. Someone willing to give their life for a cause Voc 8
11. WORD PARTS HETERO [root] Voc 8
12. WORD PARTS POD [root] Voc 8
13. WORD PARTS HOMO [root] Voc 8
14. WORD PARTS Varied or different in structure Voc 8
15. WORD PARTS Device with 3 legs Voc 8
16. WORD PARTS Having similar makeup, elements Voc 8
17. WORD PARTS Fear of others or of homosexuals Voc 8
18. WORD PARTS One-footed platform Voc 8
19. WORD PARTS Killing a member of human species Voc 8
Answers 1 1. blather 2. consensus 3. doldrums 4. congenial 5. citadel 6. aspire 7. scrutinize 8. obtuse 9. fjord 10. martyr Voc 8
Answers 3 11. different/other 12. foot 13. same/alike 14. heterogeneous 16. 15. tripod homogeneous 17. homophobia 18. podium Voc 8 19. homicide
Vocab RELATED WORDS 8
Vocab 8 1. Fill in the word. 2. Then change the form of the word to fit the sentence.
If you _______ to be happy, you WILL! I have many ____ to be happy.
aspire If you _______ to be happy, you WILL! aspirations to I have many ____ be happy.
____ makes you popular. _______ people are more popular.
Congeniality makes you ____ popular. Congenial people are more _______ popular.
Pablo’s ______ of my tattoo sent me… Pablo ______ my tattoo and sent me to Burrell.
scrutiny of my Pablo’s ______ tattoo sent me… Pablo scrutinized ______ my tattoo and sent me to Burrell.
She acts as if she thinks she’s a _____. She thinks she’s always experiencing _____.
She acts as if she thinks she’s martyr a _____. She thinks she’s always martyrdom experiencing _____.
Lennie is one ____ character! Lennie’s ______ makes him lovable.
Kaavya is one _______ character if she thinks we’re going to buy that excuse.
obstuse Kaavya is one _______ character if she thinks we’re going to buy that excuse.
1. Can I get a ______ on this? Should we take Monday off?
consensus on 1. Can I get a ______ this? Should we take Monday off?
2. I did my homework, but my paragraphs just ____ on about George.
2. I did my homework, but my blathered on paragraphs just ______ about George.
3. We get along as a campus provided the classes stay ________ and don’t ask students to cross racial lines.
3. We get along as a campus provided the classes stay homogeneous ________ and don’t ask students to cross racial lines.
4. Norway is known for its ______.
4. Norway is known for its fjords ______.
5. The soldiers stormed the ____ and took the booty.
5. citadel The soldiers stormed the _______ and took the booty.
7. It’s Friday! I’m never in the _______ on Friday!
7. It’s Friday! I’m never in the doldrums _______ on Friday!