- Slides: 10
Values are personal. Values determine our choices, and our actions every day! What we value gives us our identity and makes us individuals. There are 7 different kinds of values….
1. MORAL VALUES What you will or will not do simply because you believe it to be right & wrong
2. MATERIAL VALUES The belief that happiness comes from material things The things you spend money on that you feel are worth something
3. AESTHETIC VALUES What you believe to be beautiful The appreciation for how things look, sound, feel smell….
4. INTRINSIC VALUES Things are ideas that are important to us on their own Example: a friend who you like because of their personality
5. EXTRINSIC VALUES Some values that you hold because they help you gain other things Example: you make a friend because they can help you be popular
6. UNIVERSAL VALUES Values that all or most people agree on Example: equality, justice, self respect, respecting others
7. GROUP SPECIFIC VALUES Values particular to a group (a country, religion, an area…. ) Example: United States values personal freedoms Canada values multiculturalism
THE THING ABOUT VALUES…. Values themselves may change! We may keep the same values, but their priority may change from time to time Inconsistent behavior may indicate value conflicts or maybe an absence of values