- Slides: 35
TOEFL Listening Section By Nargis
TOEFL PAPER BASED There are 3 sections test in Paper Based TOEFL • Listening Comprehension, you must answer 50 questions in 40 minutes. • Structure and Written Expression, 40 questions in 25 minutes. • Reading comprehension 50 questions in 55 minutes
Listening for short dialogue q As you listen to each short dialogue, focus on the second line of the dialogue because the answer is generally found in the second line. q Some structure and expressions are tested regularly in the short dialogue. They could be restatement, negatives, suggestions, passive, who, where and agreement. q Do not choose answer with words that sounds similar to the words on recording in restatement. q The questions progress from easy to difficult.
exercise Woman : what do you like about your new house? Man : It’s very close to a park. Narrator : What does the man mean ? a. The house is closed up now. b. He parks his car close to his house c. His home is near a park. d. He doesn’t really like his new house.
Listening for the long conversations • The first line of the conversations often contains the main ideas, subject, or the topic of the conversation, and you will often be asked to answer such questions. • Details questions are generally answered in order in the conversations, the answer often sounds the same as what is said on the recording.
Man : can you help me ? I’m lost. Woman : Sure. Where are you trying to go ? Man : I have a class in Stanfield Hall at 3. 00. I thought l knew where l was going, but l guess I was wrong. ly eyou Woman : Hall is the other side of the university. I am heading in that direction. Come with me, I’ll show you the way. Man : Thanks. You’re a lifesaver.
Narrator : 1. What problem does the man have ? 2. Where is Stanfield Hall ? 3. Where is the woman going ? 4. What will the man do ? 5. What time does the man have a class ?
The long talk Many people are allergic to cats. If they come in contact with cats, they sneeze, their skin turn red, and their eyes begin to burn. However, it’s not only people who suffer from allergies. Cats may also be allergic to pollen, dust and perfumes, many of the same agents that cause allergies in people.
Perhaps your cat is sneezing and has watery eyes. If you think that your cat has some allergies, a veterinarian can prescribe the medication to help solve the problem. On the recording, you hear : 1. What happens to people who suffer from allergies ? 2. What is mentioned about the cat ? 3. What can someone do with a cat that has allergies ?
REVIEW OF PROBLEM AND QUESTIOS FOR THE LISTENING SECTION • Problem in the listening section frequently appear on Parts A, B, and C • Part A short conversation 1. Details • Details are specific stated in a conversation. When you hear a conversation between two speakers, you must remember the details that were stated.
Details • Man : Front desk. How may I help you ? • Woman : I’d like to arrange a wakeup call for tomorrow morning at seven o’clock Narrator : When does the woman want to get up tomorrow ?
Assumption • An assumption is a statement accepted as true without proof or demonstration. • In some short conversations, an assumption is proven false, and the speakers or speakers who had made the assumption express surprise. You must be able to recognize remarks and register, and draw conclusion about the assumptions that the speakers may have made.
Continue • Woman : Let’s just e-mail our response to Larry instead of calling. • Man : Larry has an e-mail address? • Narrator : What had the man assumed about harry ?
A prediction is a guess about future based on evidence from the present. You will be asked to make prediction about future activities of the speaker involved. After listening to evidence, you must be able to draw a logical conclusion about their future activities.
• Man : Could you please book me on the next flight to Los Angeles ? • Woman : I’m sorry, sir. Continental doesn’t fly into Los Angeles, Why don’t you try Northern or Worldwide ? • Narrator : What does the man probably do ?
Question • You will hear 30 short conversations/ dialogues and answer the questions with questions words. You will answer question directly and no repeating. Most of the questions : • Where does the conversation take place ? • What is the topic of the talk ? • What does the man/ the woman mean ? • When did it happen ? • Where does the event occur ? • What will the man/woman do next ?
Part B longer conversation • In longer conversation, you hear conversation between two speakers, when you hear it, you must able to summarize the main ideas. You must also be asked to recall important details. • You will hear longer conversation and followed by questions.
Part B longer conversation • Questions 31 through 34 based on the following conversation. • Man : Did you see that TV program last night about the sky diver whose parachutes didn’t open after he had jumped from his plane. • Woman : No I didn’t. Did he die ?
• Man : No, it’s really unbelievable how he could survived such a free fall, much less live t Tell about it on Television. • Woman : What happened ? • Man : Neither of his parachutes opened as he plummeted to the ground. When they Found him, they thought he was dead. Doctors said he’d never walk again, but he Proved them wrong.
• Woman : How long he recuperating ? • Man : He spent 18 months in the hospital: while his broken bones were mending. He was Sooner discharged that he jumped out of a plane again. • Woman : Gee, some people sure do the crazy thing. • 31. Why was the man in the hospital ? • A. he was crazy C. he had many broken bones
• 31. Why was the man in the hospital ? A. he was crazy B he had many broken bones C They thought he was dead D. he fell out of a plane.
32. Where did the interview take place ? • A. on a plane • B. on the ground • C. on Television • D. in a hospital
33. What caused the man’s accident ? • A. He fell out of the plane • B. He fell while walking • C. His two parachutes didn’t open • D. A parachute fell on him.
34. What did the man do after he released from the hospital ? A. He died B. he broke his leg C. He jumped from the plane again D. he went crazy
Part C talks and lecturer • You will hear academic talks and lecturer. • Academic talks are short talks that provide orientation to academic courses and procedures. • Lecturers are short talks that provide information about academic subjects. They are like short lecturer that might be heard in a college classroom. You must able to summarize the important ideas and answer questions that begin with the following words : who, what, when, where, why ?
• You will hear a short talk/lecture and answer the questions • Questions 43 through 45 based on the following commentary doctor to a patient. • Mr. Davis, I’ve just finished reading your Xrays and I would to discuss them with you. You have osteoarthritis in the middle of your back and scoliosis, which is curvature of the spine.
• I can also feel the muscle spasm and pinched nerves from your shoulder to the base of your spine. While this may terrible to you, it is not life threatening, nor is it something to worry about. At present there is no cure for these problem, but you can control them with proper treatment.
• First of all, we adjust your diet a little. Here is an explanation of some back exercises that you can do. I’m going to prescribe some muscle relaxers and pain killers. Take them as indicated.
43. What is the purpose of the talk ? • A. to plan a special diet for the patient to lose weight. • B. to show someone how to read an x-ray. • C. to get the patient to join an exercise class • D. to inform the patient about how to deal with the illness
• 44. What did the speaker do before talking to Mr, Davis ? • A. She talked with a chiropractor. • B. She read the X-ray • C. she did some stretching exercise • D. She took some pain killer
• 45. According to the speaker, what is scoliosis ? • A. Osteoarthritis • B. curvature of the spine • C. Pinched nerves • D. muscle spasm
Exercise • Man : Good morning, I’d like to speak to Mr. Adam, please. This is Edward Miller at the Sun Valley Center. • Woman : Mr. Miller, my husband isn’t at home. I can give you his business phone if you’d like to call him at work, though. • Third voice : What will Mrs. Adam give to Mr. Edward ? Where is Mr. Adam Now ?
• Woman : How much are these pillows, please ? • Man : Four dollars each or seven for the pair • Third voice : How much does one pillow cost ?
• Man : I hope that the bank will be open. • Woman : The sign says : • Nine a. m to five p. m weekdays. • Nine a. m to twelve noon Saturdays closed Sunday. • Third Voice : When will the bank be open on Saturday ? •
THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK