- Slides: 22
The Application of Relative Clauses Shanghai Songjiang No. 1 High School Gu Zhaohui
I. A Guessing Game • She is a teacher who/that is in charge of our class. • It is a kind of book which/that helps us to know the meaning of a new word. • She/He is the person whose job/, the job of whom is to manage the whole school. • They are the grandest games where/in which most countries take part. • Do you know the year when/in which Shanghai will host the World Expo?
Relative Pronouns: that, which, whom, whose, as Relative Adverbs: where, when, why
II. Gap Filling Section A Sample: Do you know the teacher (who/whom/that) _______ you spoke to yesterday?
1. He talked a lot about the things and persons (that) ＿＿＿ they remembered in the school. 2. He is such a learned professor _____ as all of us respect. 3. I shall never forget those years _______ when/in which I studied in Songjiang No. 1 High School with my classmates. 4. He is working hard, ______ which will make it possible for him to pass the College Entrance Examination.
Section B Women who rule New York There is another world in New York beyond the tourist attractions and the high-rise blocks _______ most of us can only dream about. (that/which) It’s a world ________ where/in which women hire private jets to go shopping. However, these women are also interested in charity activities. For example, Brooke Astor’s Queen of New York Society, ______ whose activities are as varied as visiting schools, has raised $4 million in one evening alone. When giving her reason ________ why/for which her society was able to raise so much, she admits that she tries to stimulate competition among her wealthy and famous guests.
III. More practice:
1. Mary lost the book. My version: Mary lost the book that she bought last week. Your Version: Mary lost the book __________.
2. People believe that surgeons are professionals ________________________. 3. Songjiang is my birthplace _______________. 4. The year 2008, ________, made it possible foreigners to look at China differently.
2. People believe that surgeons are professionals ______________________. My version: People believe that surgeons are professionals whose skills sometimes mean the difference between life and death.
3. Songjiang is my birthplace ___________________________. My version: Songjiang is my birthplace where people live and work in peace and contentment.
4. The year 2008, _______, made it possible foreigners to look at China differently. My version: The year 2008, when a severe earthquake struck Wenchuan, made it possible foreigners to look at China differently.
IV. Complete the Following Passage (with the help of the advanced words and phrases in the word box)
Self Introduction I am a student who is studying in Songjiang No. 1 High School. It is a school which has a long history. As far as I am concerned, it is also a place where all the teachers and students can realize their dreams. I firmly believe that I will never forget the days when we study together.
Our Dreams I want to be a teacher who has a passion for the cause of education. Therefore, I prefer a university that puts emphasis on cultivating teachers. And I hope to be admitted by East China Normal University, as most of the people think.
My friend dreams of being a lawyer whose job is defending a case at court. Those who are in trouble can turn to him for help. In this case, East China University of Political Science and Law is a place where he can accomplish his goal. He also considers it to be an ideal university, where students have more chances to attend the lectures given by some famous professors.
V. Homework 1. Follow my pattern and write your own essay. (Self introduction, Our dreams) 2. Translate six sentences
1. He is such a learned professor _____ as all of us respect. 2. He is such a learned professor _______ that all of us respect him.
Write your own essay. But exchange your ideas with the students around you first. You can follow my pattern.