- Slides: 32
OBJECTIVE 3. 01: APPLY THE ELEMENTS OF DESIGN
ELEMENTS OF DESIGN 1. Line 2. Form 3. Space 4. Mass 5. Texture 6. Color
THE ELEMENTS OF DESIGN WORK TOGETHER TO HELP CREATE THE MOOD OF A ROOM.
1. LINE Most basic element of design. Line establishes direction.
HORIZONTAL LINE Communicates feelings of relaxation, calmness, and restfulness. Think of: Found in fireplace mantels, bookcases, long sofas, …. .
HORIZONTAL LINE Restful
VERTICAL LINES Cause your eye to move up and down suggesting height, strength, dignity, and stability.
DIAGONAL LINES Communicate activity and action. Think Found in roof lines, cathedral ceilings, staircases….
CURVED LINES Curved lines communicate softness, calmness, and openness. Think Found in sinks, tubs, dishes, mirrors, pottery….
CURVED LINES Calming
2. FORM Form is the PHYSICAL SHAPE of objects.
FORM CAN BE REALISTIC, ABSTRACT, GEOMETRIC, AND FREE. Have you ever heard of a courting couch?
REALISTIC FORM – WHEN A FORM LOOKS LIKE THE REAL THING.
ABSTRACT FORM – REARRANGES OR STYLIZES A RECOGNIZABLE OBJECT.
GEOMETRIC FORM – USES SQUARES, RECTANGLES, CIRCLES, AND OTHER GEOMETRIC FIGURES TO CREATE FORM.
FREE FORM IS RANDOM AND FLOWING
THREE GUIDELINES FOR USING FORM: 1. “Form follows function. ” This means the shape of the item should be based on its intended use.
2. “Related forms are more agreeable than unrelated forms. ”
3. “A GRADUAL CHANGE IN FORM SMOOTHLY DIRECTS THE EYES. ” What do you think?
3. SPACE The area around a form and inside a form The walls of a room define its space Good design considers the SIZE OF THE SPACE and ARRANGEMENT OF THE SPACE.
Large windows and cathedral ceilings create a feeling of openness and more space Small spaces make you feel cozy
4. MASS The size or amount of space taken up by the elements A space can be high mass or low mass.
LOW MASS SPACE: RELAXING, PEACEFUL
HIGH MASS SPACE: BUSY, ENHANCES CONVERSATION
5. TEXTURE The way a surface feels (TACTILE) or appears to feel (VISUAL).
6. COLOR Color is the most significant element of design Color can be used to express a person’s individuality or to create a certain mood or illusion Color can make a warm room seem cooler and make a cool room seem warmer.