- Slides: 57
NEA 2003 NEW ORLEANS NEA CREATION SCIENCE EDUCATORS BOOTH NEA MEMBERS COMMENTS:
NEA MEMBERS COMMENTS AS FREE CREATIONIST DVD’S GIVEN TO THEM WITH A WARM SMILE: • • • “Do you believe in gravity? ” “I don’t even know why you are here!” Evolution has nothing to do with faith, it’s all fact!” “You guys are crazy, you don’t belong here!” “I’m so totally convinced of evolution. I’m tolerant of everything but what you believe!”
ANSWERS IN GENESIS DONATES ABOUT $50, 000 OF FREE CREATION SCIENCE LITERATURE. NEA MEMBERS RESPONSES TO THESE FREE BOOKS AND CD’S: • “I don’t believe in faith. ” • “I don’t need it thank you. ” • “Out of your minds!” • “I’m a science teacher, you guys ought to get a life!” • “Go back to school and get an education. ”
ARE THE TEACHERS OF THE NATIONAL EDUCATORS ASSOCIATION OPEN MINDED? • “Join the planet!” • “We’re educators, not magicians!” • “How asinine!” • “It’s impossible to refute the facts. ” (But this teacher refused to take free information that refuted the macroevolutionary hypothesis. )
DELEGATES TO THE NEA SCORN THE BIBLICAL ACCOUNT OF CREATION: • “Get real!” (with an unkind gesture) • “There’s no question in my mind, creation is wrong. ” (refused CD) • “You’re a threat to education. ” • “Charles Darwin is my hero!” • “I teach science-no thanks, I have my religion!” (YES, IT IS CALLED EVOLUTIONARY PHILOSOPHICAL NATURALISM)
“I HEARD YOU GUYS ARE LIKE THE TALIBAN, SO I HAD TO COME OVER HERE AND SEE FOR MYSELF!” • Proverbs 14: 12 • “There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. ”
WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN’S RESPONSE TO RIDICULE AND REJECTION? • “IF YE BE REPROACHED FOR THE NAME OF CHRIST, HAPPY ARE YE, FOR THE SPIRIT OF GLORY AND OF GOD RESTETH UPON YOU: ON THEIR PART HE IS EVIL SPOKEN OF, BUT ON YOUR PART HE IS GLORIFIED. ” • I PETER 4: 14
WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN’S RESPONSE TO RIDICULE AND REJECTION? • “BLESSED ARE YE, WHEN MEN SHALL HATE YOU, AND WHEN THEY SHALL SEPARATE YOU FROM THEIR COMPANY, AND SHALL REPROACH YOU, AND CAST OUT YOUR NAME AS EVIL, FOR THE SON OF MAN’S SAKE. REJOICE YE IN THAT DAY AND LEAP FOR JOY: FOR, BEHOLD, YOUR REWARD IS GREAT IN HEAVEN. ” LUKE 6: 22, 23
WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN’S RESPONSE TO RIDICULE AND REJECTION? • “AND THEY DEPARTED FROM THE PRESENCE OF THE COUNCIL REJOICING THAT THEY WERE COUNTED WORTHY TO SUFFER SHAME FOR HIS NAME. AND DAILY IN THE TEMPLE AND IN EVERY HOUSE THEY CEASED NOT TO TEACH AND PREACH JESUS CHRIST. ” ACTS 5: 41, 42
INHERIT THE WIND: A CRITIQUE
The 1960 film, Inherit the Wind, starring Frederic March and Spencer Tracy is presently being shown in public schools and colleges across America as true history and as an accurate assessment of the events of the trial and of its participants.
NEA 2006 ORLANDO, FL NEA CREATION SCIENCE EDUCATORS BOOTH NEA MEMBERS COMMENTS:
2006 BOOTH TITLE “PROPAGANDA IN THE CLASSROOM”
Inherit the Wind teaches Revisionist History • In 2006 Jobe gave a man a copy of the actual transcript of the Scopes Trial. • In 2007 the same man said that he had read the transcript. Then he said: • “The transcript was very interesting, but I think the movie, Inherit the Wind, Wind was more truthful!” • This is called Postmodern Deconstructionsim
First morning, first comment of the day: “You guys are wonderful!” Next person’s comment: “No thank you for no ------!” 10: 30 AM Thursday: Taryn: “Have you seen Inherit the Wind? Teacher: “Seen it? ! I teach it!” Taryn: “This DVD is a comparison of some of the movies ‘facts’ with true history. ” Teacher: “Oh, thank you, I’ll take it. ”
10: 45 AM Us: “Would you like a free DVD showing the historical errors and anti-Christian bias of the movie Inherit the Wind? ” Them: “ I teach Inherit the Wind. This movie is true history!” (Refused DVD) Them: “I teach history, not science fiction. ” (Refused DVD) 1: 50 PM Mirren tries to give a lady teacher a free DVD. The lady’s response after barely glancing: “I don’t talk to bigots!”
3: 25 PM A homosexual teacher said: “I am totally open minded about everything, and I do not even need to look at your literature!” A Catholic science teacher said: “All humans have a common ancestor with the primates. ” We responded: “Then your Virgin Mary was mutated primate genes? ” “No! Mary was created by God!”
• One lady approached the booth interested in the Creation Science Educator’s Caucus. She asked the viewpoint. Taryn said it was creation from the viewpoint of the Bible. Taryn noticed her eyes got big, so said, “I didn’t mean to scare you. ” The lady threw down the pamphlets that she had already picked up and yelled, “It does scare me!” and she bumped into Jenna Dee and knocked some DVD’s on the floor as she ran off.
• One lady thanked us for being there and then asked if she could have extra DVD’s and booklets to send to our troops in the hospitals in Iraq. (We loaded her up. ) • A homosexual teacher was offered some literature—Response: “No thanks, I’m a born-again Gay!” • Two gay men walked by, refused literature from Dr. Jobe, and then venomously said, “How dare you!” and stomped off.
• A teacher walked up the Jenna Dee and said, “The reason our American children are not doing well in international competition is because of organizations and people like you! You are slowing down their learning! She felt better and left. • An older science teacher said to Dr. Jobe, “You ought to go back to school and learn some true science. Your religion is not scientific.
• A female science teacher walked up to Dr. Jobe and Dr. John and with a mocking grin said, “ I betcha you men know a whole lot about science, don’t you. (hee hah) • Dr. John said, “Well Dr. Martin is a dentist with a life time of experience in true science and I am a Cardiologist. Everything I do depends on true science or my patients are dead! • She stepped back in unbelief and walked away, refusing any literature.
• A male teacher: “Evolution is truth, you are the liar!” • “I am a science teacher and none of this would be of use to me. ” • “You are all wrong, there is no reason to listen to you!” • “You are not going to change my mind, trust me. I went to a Jesuit college. • “I am investigating all religions. ” “Would you like some of our free information? ” “Nope!”
A response to our booth being at the NEA convention: • “My Lord, thank you Jesus! What can I take to my church library? I’ll tell other Christians they need to come over. ” • (We loaded her up with books and DVD’s) • “The Bible has embellished and enhanced these things so much. ” (Being interpreted: “Surely you primitives don’t really believe the Bible is God’s word, do you? ”)
• On Saturday afternoon an NEA administrator with two associates walked up to Dr. Jobe and said, “There has been a complaint about your booth. You have offended one of our delegates with your booklet, Gay Marriage: Is There an Answer? Answer [she was holding the booklet]. We want you to move that booklet off the front table and to the back of the booth. We’ve had complaints about you people in previous years and if you do not move this booklet to the back of the booth you will be reported to the leadership of the NEA. You do want to come back again, don’t you. [Veiled threat? ]
• Jobe asked, “Did the offended party read the booklet? ” • NEA Administrator: “I don’t know. ” • Jobe to NEA, “Have you read the offensive booklet? ” • NEA: “No. ” • Jobe to NEA, “The person in charge of our booth is not presently here. I do not have the authority to make this decision, so I will have him notify you when he returns. ”
• The NEA trio left. [1 Pet. 3: 14, 15 came to mind] • We decided to move the offensive booklet to the back until TR returned, not wanting to get expelled from the convention in the absence of the person in charge of our booth. • TR returned after 5: 00 PM and the NEA office was closed. • Sunday AM one of the “trio” (a black man) returned to see if we were going to comply with the NEA demand to move the “offensive” booklet to the back of the table.
• Meanwhile some of our volunteers had gone to the NEA [pro-] “Gay and Lesbian” booth to pick up some truly offensive literature at the front of their booth and the “Peace and Justice” booth with its anti-Bush, anti-war, anti-American, prosocialist, pro-Marxist literature. • TR politely told the NEA [black man] that what he was telling us to do was the same thing that happened to Rosa Parks [black lady] when she was made to go to the back of the bus. Our “Free Speech” was being denied by the NEA, but we will keep the offensive booklet at the front of the booth and not move it to the back.
• The NEA representative said he was going back to headquarters to report our decision to the leadership. • SO DO WE GIVE UP GROUND AS GOD’S AMBASSADORS? • 1 Peter 3: 13 -17 • Acts 4: 18 -21 • Hebrews 4: 13 -14 • Proverbs 14: 12
I Peter 3: 13 -17 13 And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good? 14 But and if ye suffer for righteousness’ sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled; 15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: 16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ. 17 For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.
Acts 4: 18 -21 • 18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus 19 But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye. 20 For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard. 21 So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all men glorified God for that which was done.
Hebrews 4: 13 -14 • 13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
Proverbs 14: 12 12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. So a teacher says: “I’m a born-again gay!” “I teach science, not fiction!” “Inherit the Wind IS true history!”
NOW BACK TO THE CRITIQUE OF INHERIT THE WIND. The Scopes Trial took place in Dayton, TN. 1925. The defendant was John Scopes, a math teacher and well-liked football coach. Scopes taught biology for two weeks as a substitute. Scopes never taught evolution in the classroom. [see: Dr. David Menton, Inherit the Wind: A Hollywood History of the Scopes Trial (Hebron, Ky: Answers in Genesis, 2006), p. 7. ]
• The movie begins with Scopes teaching evolution in the classroom=false history. • Scopes classroom is invaded by clergymen and businessmen who want him arrested=false history. • The “intelligent” people of Tennessee want Scopes put in jail=false history.
TRUE HISTORY: • The ACLU advertised in the Chattanooga, TN newspaper, The Daily Times, for someone to set up a test case to promote evolution of man against the TN Butler Act which stipulated that teachers could not deny the Biblical account of the creation of man and could not teach that man evolved from lower primates.
TRUE HISTORY: • A business man named George Rappleyea responded to the ACLU solicitation. • Rappleyea coerced John Scopes into being the defendant in the case even though Scopes told Rappleyea that he had never taught evolution. • Rappleyea knew that the textbook taught evolution and believed that was enough to initiate the litigation.
FALSE HISTORY: • Scopes was arrested in his classroom and spent time in jail. • The local “Christians” harassed Scopes in his jail cell and wanted to lynch him.
TRUE HISTORY: • Scopes never spent time in jail. He posted $1000. 00 bail and was released. • The local “Christians” never harassed Scopes while in jail since he was never in jail. • History records no one who wanted to lynch John Scopes.
THE TWO ATTORNEYS: • Clarence Darrow: Agnostic [some say Atheist] defending Scopes in the trumped up trial. • William Jennings Bryan: Probably the most famous Christian attorney of his day. He ran for president of the USA three times.
FALSE HISTORY: • John Scopes had a girlfriend who was called to court to testify • “Rachel Brown” was badly treated on the witness stand by William Jennings Bryan. • Darrow looked like the “good guy” by refusing to submit the “mistreated” girlfriend to cross-examination.
TRUE HISTORY: • No girls were called to testify at the trial. • Since there were no girls in the trial, Bryan could not have abused one as depicted in the movie. • Darrow was not the “good guy” in the trial as he was cited by the judge for contempt of court for repeatedly insulting and interrupting Judge Raulston.
FALSE HISTORY: • In the movie, Inherit the Wind, Bryan responds to a question from Darrow that Bryan “takes every word of the Bible literally. ”
TRUE HISTORY: • The actual transcript of the trail records Bryan’s response to Darrow’s question: • Darrow: “Do you claim that everything in the Bible should be literally interpreted? ” • Bryan: “I believe everything in the Bible should be accepted as it is given there; some of the Bible is given illustratively. For instance: ‘Ye are the salt of the earth. ’ I would not insist that man was actually salt, or that he had flesh of salt…. ”
FALSE HISTORY: • In the movie, Bryan claims that he knows the exact age of the earth and it is the date calculated by Archbishop Ussher’s date for the beginning of the creation was 9 o’clock in the morning on October 23, 4004 B. C.
TRUE HISTORY: • The actual trial transcript reads: • Darrow: “Mr. Bryan, could you tell me how old the earth is? • Bryan: “No sir, I couldn’t. ” • Darrow: “Could you come anywhere near it? ” • Bryan: “I wouldn’t attempt to. I could possibly come as near as the scientists do, but I had rather be more accurate before I give a guess. ”
• At the end of the movie trial, Bryan is in the midst of a religious fervor and drops dead. • In actual history Bryan was calm and collected throughout the trial and died a week later of complications of diabetes.
• But William Jennings Bryan could not defend the Christian faith, even though he was a most famous Christian attorney.
SCOPES “MONKEY” TRIAL • Darwin’s theory of evolution (On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection or the Preservation of Favored Races in the Struggle for Life) 1859 • Scopes Trial 1925: William Jennings Bryan: Could not defend Faith—literal days of Genesis 1. Backlash of his unwillingness to submit to the authority of Scripture = God and Creation ultimately out of the classrooms of the world!
QUOTES FROM THE SCOPES TRIAL • Darrow: Question—Mr. Bryan, do you believe that Eve was the first woman? • A—Yes. • Q—Do you believe she was literally made out of Adam’s rib? • A—I Do. • Q—Did you ever discover where Cain got his wife? • A—No sir, I leave the agnostics to hunt for her.
• • • Q—You have never found out? A—I have never tried to find. Q—You have never tried to find? A—No. Q—The Bible says he got one, doesn’t it? Were there other people on the earth at that time? • A—I cannot say. • Q—You cannot say. Did that ever enter your consideration? • A—Never bothered me.
• Q—There were no others recorded, but Cain got a wife? • A—That is what the Bible says. [Gen. 5: 4]
QUOTES FROM THE SCOPES TRIAL • Darrow continues—Where she came from you do not know. All right. Does the statement, “The morning and the evening were the first day, ” and “The morning and the evening were the second day, ” mean anything to you? • Bryan—I do not think it necessarily means a twenty-four-hour day. • Q—You do not? • A—No. [Ultimately God and Creation out in USA schools!]
• To defend the Biblical Christian Faith a person must first be a Biblical Christian. • A Biblical Christian is a person who realizes that he/she is a lost sinner and by faith believes that Jesus Christ is the only Son of the God of the Bible; that he came to earth, did His miracles, died on the cross of Calvary, came back to life three days later at the resurrection and is alive and sitting at the right hand of God the Father. • A Biblical Christian has received Jesus as their personal Savior.
• Once a person admits their sinful state to God and receives the Lord Jesus Christ as their Savior, the Bible encourages them to grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord • As we grow, we are encouraged to share the Gospel and make disciples. • We are to accurately, intelligently and persuasively defend the faith!
JOHN 3: 16, 17 • “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved. ”
ACTS 16: 31 b Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved