- Slides: 49
Module 1 Wonders of the world 奇观；奇迹
Unit 2 The Grand Canyon was not just big.
Pre-learning knowledge Do you know the Grand Canyon ?
The Grand Canyon is a very steep canyon in Arizona. It’s considered to be one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World and is about six million years old. About five million people visit each year. Most walk the paths, but some take boats down the river or see it by plane. The Grand Canyon has been described as strange, mysterious and overpowering. 美国大峡谷 大峡谷是一个非常陡峭的峡谷，位于美国的亚利桑那州。 它被认为是世界七大奇迹之一，有600万年的历史。 每年大约有五百万的游客前来观光。大部分人会徒步旅游， 但是一些人坐船沿河游览或者搭乘飞机观赏。大峡谷被 描述为一个奇特，神秘而且魅力无法抵挡的旅游胜地。 由于科罗拉多河穿流其中，故又名科罗拉多大峡谷 (Colorado Canyon )。
Fast reading Where does the passage possibly come from? a) A magazine b) A grammar c) A dictionary d) A strorybook
Read Paragraph 1: Choose the right picture. 1. When was it? A: B: 2. What was the weather like? A: B:
Read Paragraph 2 : 1. How many people are there in this passage? a) one b) two c) three d) four 2. Did the stranger know where I was going? Yes, he did. a) b) No, he didn’t.
Read Paragraph 3 : 3 Where was the writer facing while he was looking over the Grand Canyon? a) To the south. b) To the north. c) To the east. d) To the west east
Read Paragraphs 4 and 5 : How deep How wide How long Feeling 突破难点 one mile/ deeper than two tallest buildings 15 miles 200 miles The greatest wonder
4. What is the writer’s purpose in writing this passage? a) To give facts about the natural world. b) To say how he feels about the natural world. c) To tell an interesting story about the Grand Canyon. d) To attract people to visit the Grand Canyon.
Words and expressions • • • in five minutes 5分钟后(常用于一般将来时） look down to 向下看，俯视 get out of （从……内） 出来 walk along 沿着…… 走 = go along one of … ······ 之一 at the bottom of 在······ 底部 look over 查看；检查；调查 have gone to 到某地去了 because of 因为 faster and faster 越来越快
Language points 1. A great wonder of the natural world. 自然界的伟大奇观。 2. arrive in + 大地方 arrive at + 小地方 get + 地点 reach （副词） get to + 地点名词 reach + 地点名词 他明天将到达北京。 arrive in / get to / reach He will ___________Beijing tomorrow.
3. I get out of the car, went through a gate and walked along a dark path. 我下了小汽车，穿过大门并沿着一条昏暗的 小路往前走。 1) get out of the car 下车 get into the car 上车 get on the bus / train 上车 get off the bus / train 下车
2) through 区别 across prep. 是指在表面上掠过，穿过, 如: walk across the bridge, fly across the mountain, 还有对面的意思，如: run across the road through prep. 多指从中穿过，通过，如： walk through the forest, go through the tunnel
3) walk along… 沿着……走, 相当于go along 沿着这条街道走， 向右转， 你就可以找到它。 Walk / go along _________this street, turn right, and then you will find it.
4. beside prep. 在……旁边；在……附近。 它相当于next to. 这是学校大楼，它在公园旁边。 beside This is the school building. It is ____the park. besides prep. 除了……. 之外（还有）。 除了唱英文歌曲外，还有很多有趣的方法来学习 英语。 ____ singing English songs, there are Besides many other fun ways to learn English.
5. answer 与 reply v. & n. 回答；答复；答案 answer和reply 后接that 从句时可互换。 answer+ 名词/代词 两者作名词时， reply + to +名词/ 代词… 都与to 搭配 他没能回答我的问题。 reply He failed to _____ to my question. 谁能回答我这个问题？ answer Who can ____ me this question? 你能找到这个问题的答案吗？ the answer / reply Can you find out __________ to this question?
3) silent adj. 寂静的 当天变黑时，万籁俱寂。 silent When it gets dark, everything falls _____. a) silent adj. 沉默的。keep silent 保持沉默 面对这样的事时我们不应该保持沉默。 keep silent We shouldn’t _______when we face such things. b) silence n. 沉默；安静 他们一起回家，一路上谁也不说话。 silence They went home together in _______.
2) shine v. （shone, shone ) 照耀 shining(现在分词) shining 阳光正普照大地。The sun is _____. shine n. 光亮 （不可数名词） 这个婴儿红光满面。There’s some shine _____on the baby’s face.
8. Far below me, the ground fell away and down to a river. 在我脚下很远的地方，大 地倾斜至深谷中的河里。 below prep. 在……下方 above prep. 在……上方 她在三楼的上一层还是下一层？ Is she ______ or ____ the third floor? above below under 在……正下方 over 在…… 正上方 只有猫在桌子下面。 There is a cat under _______the table.
fall away and down to …降到……/ 落到…. . . 山那边地势向河边陡然倾斜。 falls away Beyond the hill, the land _____ down to sharply and ____the river.
9. I looked down to the Colorado River, a silver stream nearly one mile below me. a) look down 俯视 look up and down 上下打量 look down on / upon sb. / sth. 鄙视或瞧不起 某人/某物 当我在街上遇见我的朋友时，他上下打量我。 looked me and up and down My friend _____________ when he met me in the street. 我看不起那些只爱钱的人。 look down / upon I ________ people who only love money.
at the bottom of … 在……的底部 在表格的底下填上你的地址。 Stick down your address ________the form. at the bottom of
11. I remained by the canyon for about half an hour, … 我在大峡谷边上停留了大约半个小时，…… remain v. 继续，保持；剩下，遗留 我问了她一个问题，但她保持沉默。 remained I asked her a question but she _______silent. 树上还剩几朵花。 remained A few flowers still ____ on the tree.
4. Complete the passage with the words in the box. below mile remain reply sign silent sky stream through sign In the park, there is no (1) ______ of the silent Grand Canyon, and it is (2) ____. But if remain you (3) _______by the Grand Canyon as the sky (4) ______ gets brighter and look down about mile one (5) ______, you can see the Colorado below River (6) _______ you. It looks like a silver stream through (7) ____ as it passes (8) _____ the rocks
at the bottom of the canyon. If someone asks you whether the Grand Canyon is the greatest wonder of the natural world , it reply may be easy to ____.
Learning to learn Some adjectives tell you facts, such as wide, deep, high ， long and tall; some adjectives tell you the opinion of the author, like wonderful, huge and great. Learn to use them to talk about facts and give your opinion.
writing • 5. Complete the table with facts about a • natural or man-made wonder of the world.
Name Location Interesting facts the Great Wall in the north of China a long history, unique architectural style more than 5000 km long
6. Imagine you have just visited one of the natural or man-made wonders. Write sentences and describe how you felt when you visited the wonder. ※ Say when you visited it. I just visited the Great Wall last month. ※ Say where it is. It is in the north of China. . Describe its size. ※ It is surpass 10, 000 miles.
Say what interesting facts you know. It is famous for its unique architectural style, a long history and surpass 10, 000 miles. ※ ※ Say what happened when you visited it. It was raining when we were walking up the Great Wall, but we didn’t stop. Finally, we reached the top of it. ※ Say how you felt. I felt very excited, . The Great Wall is so majestic, of great momentum. 长城雄伟壮观，气势磅礴
Now write a passage. Use the sentences you have written to help you. A visit to the Great Wall I had a wonderful visit to Beijing during this summer holiday. I would never forget the visit to the Great Wall. On the first day of our trip, we went to the Great Wall, It was raining when we were walking up the Great Wall.
When we reached the top of it. I felt very excited. The Great Wall is one of the seven greatest wonders of the world. It is famous for its unique architectural style and its history. It is more than 5000 km long. Many people have come to know the famous Chinese saying: "He who does not reach the Great Wall is not a true man. " As Chinese, I’m very proud of the Great Wall. I will remember it forever.
Homework 1. Remember all the new words and expressions we’ve learned today. 2. Finish exercises.
1. To search some information about the Stonehenge. 2. To preview Unit 3
Reading and vocabulary 1. Work in pairs. Talk about a great natural wonder you know. Use the words in the box to help you. below deep fantastic high long natural shine sign silent silver
随堂练习 • 一、根据句子意思及首字母填写单词。 • 1. It’s sunny today. The sun is s_____brightly in the yard. • 2. The temperature is b_______ zero today. You’d better put on more clothes. • 3. You can see the s____ moonlight through the window. • 4. The girl spent n____ all of her money on books. • 5. He was badly hurt. He will have to r_______ in hospital for • at least 10 days.
• 二、选词填空 fall away, look over, in ten minutes, • far away, at the bottom of • 6. I______ the crowd, there were some children behind. • 7. The girl lived in a small village _______, so she was always • late for school. • 8. There are some colourful rocks ____ the lake. • 9. When I saw the balloon, it _______ and down to the ground. • 10. I’m sure the man will finish the work _____.
• • • • 三、选择 11. They ______ politely to the old man. A. answered B. replied C. ask D. tell 12. The food price is still_____ though our government tries to control it. A. raising B. lifting C. rising D. growing 13. There are _______ 2000 persons in the meeting hall. A. much than B. more much C. much more D. more than 14. —Has your brother read this book? —Yes. He _____ it two weeks ago. A. read B. reads C. has read D. had read 15. The official said they _____ a new law to protect the tourists next year. A. makes B. would make C. made D. have made
A. Why do you think so? B. Your idea sounds quite right and I agree with you. C. Computer? That’s news to me! But why? D. I think it must be the Great Wall. E. So what’s your opinion about the world’s greatest wonder? • • 四、选句子补全对话。 A: Jim, what do you think is the world’s greatest wonder? B: 16. A: 17 B: Because it was built thousands of years ago and it is still the longest structure in the world now. A: Yeah, it’s really wonderful, but I don’t think it is the greatest wonder. B: 18 A: I believe the computer is more wonderful than the Great Wall. B: 19 A: Because it has taken people to the moon and brought them back safely. And people now can fly to many other planets because of the computer. • So isn’t it the greatest wonder of the world? B: 20