May 2016 doc IEEE 802 11 160518 r

  • Slides: 25
Download presentation
May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 ARC-SC-agenda-May-2016 Date: 2016 -05

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 ARC-SC-agenda-May-2016 Date: 2016 -05 -19 Authors: Agenda Slide 1 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Abstract Agenda for: ARC

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Abstract Agenda for: ARC SC, May 2016, Waikoloa, Hawaii, USA Agenda Slide 2 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 IEEE 802. 11 Architecture

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 IEEE 802. 11 Architecture Standing Committee Agenda May 2016 session Chair: Mark Hamilton (Ruckus Wireless) Vice Chair: Joe Levy (Inter. Digital) Agenda Slide 3 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Tuesday, May 17 th,

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Tuesday, May 17 th, AM 2 Agenda Slide 4 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Attendance, etc. • Reminders

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Attendance, etc. • Reminders to attendees: – Sign in for. 11 attendance credit – Noises off – No recordings Agenda Slide 5 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Participants, Patents, and Duty

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Participants, Patents, and Duty to Inform All participants in this meeting have certain obligations under the IEEE-SA Patent Policy. • Participants [Note: Quoted text excerpted from IEEE-SA Standards Board Bylaws subclause 6. 2]: • “Shall inform the IEEE (or cause the IEEE to be informed)” of the identity of each “holder of any potential Essential Patent Claims of which they are personally aware” if the claims are owned or controlled by the participant or the entity the participant is from, employed by, or otherwise represents • “Should inform the IEEE (or cause the IEEE to be informed)” of the identity of “any other holders of potential Essential Patent Claims” (that is, third parties that are not affiliated with the participant, with the participant’s employer, or with anyone else that the participant is from or otherwise represents) • The above does not apply if the patent claim is already the subject of an Accepted Letter of Assurance that applies to the proposed standard(s) under consideration by this group • Early identification of holders of potential Essential Patent Claims is strongly encouraged • No duty to perform a patent search Agenda Slide 6 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Patent Related Links All

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Patent Related Links All participants should be familiar with their obligations under the IEEE-SA Policies & Procedures for standards development. Patent Policy is stated in these sources: IEEE-SA Standards Boards Bylaws http: //standards. ieee. org/develop/policies/bylaws/sect 6 -7. html#6 IEEE-SA Standards Board Operations Manual http: //standards. ieee. org/develop/policies/opman/sect 6. html#6. 3 Material about the patent policy is available at http: //standards. ieee. org/about/sasb/patcom/materials. html If you have questions, contact the IEEE-SA Standards Board Patent Committee Administrator at [email protected] org or visit http: //standards. ieee. org/about/sasb/patcom/index. html This slide set is available at https: //development. standards. ieee. org/myproject/Public/mytools/mob/slideset. ppt Agenda Slide 7 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Call for Potentially Essential

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Call for Potentially Essential Patents • If anyone in this meeting is personally aware of the holder of any patent claims that are potentially essential to implementation of the proposed standard(s) under consideration by this group and that are not already the subject of an Accepted Letter of Assurance: • Either speak up now or • Provide the chair of this group with the identity of the holder(s) of any and all such claims as soon as possible or • Cause an LOA to be submitted Agenda Slide 8 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Other Guidelines for IEEE

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Other Guidelines for IEEE WG Meetings • All IEEE-SA standards meetings shall be conducted in compliance with all applicable laws, including antitrust and competition laws. • • Don’t discuss the interpretation, validity, or essentiality of patents/patent claims. Don’t discuss specific license rates, terms, or conditions. • Relative costs, including licensing costs of essential patent claims, of different technical approaches may be discussed in standards development meetings. • • Technical considerations remain primary focus Don’t discuss or engage in the fixing of product prices, allocation of customers, or division of sales markets. • Don’t discuss the status or substance of ongoing or threatened litigation. • Don’t be silent if inappropriate topics are discussed … do formally object. -------------------------------- See IEEE-SA Standards Board Operations Manual, clause 5. 3. 10 and “Promoting Competition and Innovation: What You Need to Know about the IEEE Standards Association's Antitrust and Competition Policy” for more details. Agenda Slide 9 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 ARC Agenda – May

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 ARC Agenda – May 2016 Tuesday, May 17, AM 2 • • • Administrative: Re-affirmation of officer(s) Update on 802. 11 as a component in a (larger) system/5 G/IMT-2020 IEEE 1588 mapping to IEEE 802. 11 Update, no action expected: IETF/802 coordination: update on multicast over 802. 11 802. 1 AC status update; TGak update; TGaq update AP/DS/Portal architecture and 802 concepts - 11 -16/0457 r 1, 11 -15/0454 r 0, 11 -14/1213 r 1 (slides 9 -11) Wednesday, May 18, AM 1 • • Administrative: Minutes AP/DS/Portal architecture and 802 concepts (continued) • MIB attributes Design Pattern - 11 -15/0355 r 3, 11 -15/0891 r 0 • • • “What is an ESS? ” Drop Eligibility Indicator discussion (Ganesh) (11 -16/713 r 0) Future sessions / SC activities • Future topic: Should we, and if so, how, add YANG models to 802. 11? Joint session with TGak, Thursday, May 19, AM 1 Agenda Slide 10 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Re-affirmation of ARC officer(s)

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Re-affirmation of ARC officer(s) • Chair of ARC SC is re-affirmed by the WG • Vice Chair and secretary are re-affirmed by the SC – Joe Levy (Inter. Digital) has graciously volunteered to continue – Any other candidates/discussion? – Any objection to the following: • ARC SC re-affirms Joseph Levy (Inter. Digital) as Vice Chair and Secretary of the 802. 11 ARC SC • Motion: Donald Eastlake Second: Jon Rosdahl • Unanimous Consent Agenda Slide 11 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 802. 11 as a

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 802. 11 as a “component” discussion • Work moved to EC Standing Committee (“EC SC 5 G”) • Update on activities (Joe Levy) Agenda Slide 12 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 IEEE 1588 mapping to

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 IEEE 1588 mapping to IEEE 802. 11 • Update (Mark Hamilton) Agenda Slide 13 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 IETF/802 coordination • Dorothy

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 IETF/802 coordination • Dorothy Stanley present topics of interest: – Multicast traffic features of 802. 11 • Any update, or further action needed? – none • Draft is still being revised, goal is for September to be ready for review – CAPWAP • Draft for 802. 11 n has expired • Draft alternate tunnel - is unchanged and not clear status/will continue. • No actions requested at this time – Other? • Next meeting IETF: 18 -22 July 2016, Berlin; Leadership coord meeting: Sept 9 • Request to update 802. 11/. 15 IETF Tutorial and projects underway and work of joint interests – Dorothy and Charlie will be generating the document. • BOF sessions: ITS-related BOF at the April meeting, would be good to track/get report if possible Agenda Slide 14 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 802. 1 AC revision

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 802. 1 AC revision • Current Status: – Latest ballot closed in April. – But, still waiting on the RAC to approve the Ethertype. • Presentations for discussion (to be updated, if/as presentations come in): • None Agenda Slide 15 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 802. 11 General Links

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 802. 11 General Links • Donald Eastlake present topics of interest from TGak and 802. 1’s parallel work (802. 1 Qbz) • Topics for joint session on Thursday – 11 -16 -0251 -03 -00 ak-glk-ess. docx – 11 -15 -0454 -00 -0 arc-some-more-ds-architecture-concepts. pptx Agenda Slide 16 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 802. 11 aq (PAD)

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 802. 11 aq (PAD) • Any updates, or further collaboration suggested? Agenda Slide 17 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 AP/DS/Portal architecture and 802

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 AP/DS/Portal architecture and 802 concepts • Presentations on architectural description(s) • • https: //mentor. ieee. org/802. 11/dcn/16/11 -16 -0457 -01 -0 arc-802 -11 ak-8021 ac-stas-aps-dses-and-convergence-functions. pptx https: //mentor. ieee. org/802. 11/dcn/16/11 -16 -0720 -00 -0 arc-stackedarchitecture-discussion. pptx • Reference presentations (previously reviewed, current status of thinking): Agenda – https: //mentor. ieee. org/802. 11/dcn/14/11 -14 -1213 -01 -0 arc-ap-archconcepts-and-distribution-system-access. pptx – https: //mentor. ieee. org/802. 11/dcn/13/11 -13 -0115 -15 -0 arc-considerationson-ap-architectural-models. doc – https: //mentor. ieee. org/802. 11/dcn/14/11 -14 -0497 -03 -0 arc-802 -11 -portaland-802 -1 ac-convergence-function. pptx – https: //mentor. ieee. org/802. 11/dcn/14/11 -14 -0562 -05 -00 ak-802 -11 ak-and 802 -1 ac-convergence-function. pptx Slide 18 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless – https: //mentor. ieee. org/802. 11/dcn/15/11 -15 -0454 -00 -0 arc-some-more-ds-

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Wednesday, May 18 th,

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Wednesday, May 18 th, AM 1 Agenda Slide 19 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 ARC Minutes • March

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 ARC Minutes • March Minutes: https: //mentor. ieee. org/802. 11/dcn/16/11 -16 -0498 -03 -0 arc-sc-and-joint-meetings-minutesmarch-2016. docx • Teleconference Minutes: – https: //mentor. ieee. org/802. 11/dcn/16/11 -16 -0503 -00 -0 arc-scteleconference-meeting-minutes-30 -march-2016. docx – https: //mentor. ieee. org/802. 11/dcn/16/11 -16 -0573 -00 -0 arc-scteleconference-meeting-04 -may-2016. docx Agenda Slide 20 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Design Pattern for MIB

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Design Pattern for MIB attributes • The WG 11 Chair has requested that the ARC SC investigate and create a Design Pattern for MIB attributes of the form “*Implemented” and “*Activated” • https: //mentor. ieee. org/802. 11/dcn/14/11 -14 -1068 -00 -0 arc-mibattributes-design-pattern-background. docx • https: //mentor. ieee. org/802. 11/dcn/14/11 -14 -1281 -04 -0 arc-mibattributes-analysis. docx • https: //mentor. ieee. org/802. 11/dcn/15/11 -15 -0355 -03 -0 arc-mibtruthvalue-usage-patterns. docx • https: //mentor. ieee. org/802. 11/dcn/15/11 -15 -0891 -00 -0 arc-deltar 2 r 3 -of-mib-truthvalue-usage-patterns. docx Agenda Slide 21 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 What is an ESS?

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 What is an ESS? • Current definition depends on the relationship to LLC – “A set of one or more interconnected basic service sets (BSSs) that appears as a single BSS to the logical link control (LLC) layer at any station (STA) associated with one of those BSSs. ” • That would mean a 802. 1 Bridged LAN (for example) creates an ESS. Probably not what we (802. 11) meant. • We probably meant something about transparency of “location of attachment”/”mobility”, from whatever is using the 802. 11 MAC (and other entities, necessary to accomplish the service? ) ESS == demarcation of this transparency? ? • Is it: – Transparent to whatever upper layer is above 802. 11? – The APs have to have some common/similar configuration settings? (SSID, at least. Probably other facilities (security, etc. ) and policies? ) Slide 22 Agenda Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 ARC Future Activities &

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 ARC Future Activities & sessions • ARC SC meets when a specific focused task is requested of the SC for which the is sufficient volunteer interest. • Continue work on architectural models, and liaison with TGs in development of their architecture as appropriate • Monitor 5 G/IMT-2020 activities of 802 • Design Pattern for “*Implemented” and “*Activated” MIB attributes • Will also follow 802. 1/802. 11 activities on links, bridging, and MAC Service definition, • Monitor/report on IETF/802 activities, as needed • Monitor/report on IEEE 1588 activities, as needed If you have ANY other topic that you would like ARC SC to consider, contact the SC chair. Agenda Slide 23 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Planning for July 2016

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Planning for July 2016 • Plan for two individual meeting slots – Usual slot on Wed AM 1 – Another slot for standalone ARC work (Monday/Tuesday? ) – Another slot joint with 802. 11 ak, 802. 1 (Thursday’s slot) • Individuals interested in ARC work are encouraged to also attend other TGak or TGaq sessions, and monitor 5 G/IMT-2020 activities • No teleconferences – May schedule with 10 days notice if discussion warrants Agenda Slide 24 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Thursday, May 19 th,

May 2016 doc. : IEEE 802. 11 -16/0518 r 3 Thursday, May 19 th, AM 1 - Joint session with TGak - See TGak for detailed agenda Agenda Slide 25 Mark Hamilton, Ruckus Wireless