- Slides: 15
Linguistics Class 2
What is linguistics?
• Linguistics is defined as the scientific study of language and its structure. • It covers the study of syntax, semantics, phonetics, morphology and lexicology.
• Branches of linguistics include sociolinguistics, dialectology, psycholinguistics, computational linguistics and comparative linguistics.
Scientific • Scientific study means studying the language as we study chemistry and physics without prejudice (opinion that is not based on reason).
Hypothesis • Adjectives always come before nouns. • A new car.
Testing • The car is new.
Adjectives in English 1. Attributive = they come before the noun Example: New car New student Beautiful dress Old book Best place
2. Predicative: come after the noun The car is new. The dress is beautiful The book is old The place is the best
Language Ø What do we mean by language? Ø How do you define language? Ø What is language?
1. Set of signals by which we communicate. 2. A method of human communication, either spoken or written. It consists of using words in a structured and conventional way. 3. A system of communication used by a particular country or community.
How does human language differ from animal communication?
• Human language is flexible, complex and productive. • It can be expressed in writing. • Human languages are arbitrary (unpredictable).
● ● ﻣﺎﺀ is water in English, maim in Hebrew. In terms of structure ﻃﺎﻟﺒﺔ / ﺃﻨﺎ ﻃﺎﻟﺐ I am a student.