- Slides: 15
Knife Construction • • • 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. blade tang handle rivet bolster
Types Of Knives 1. Chef’s/French all purpose knife with 8 -14 inch blade 2. Utility Knife 5 -7 inch blade used to peel and slice vegetables
3. Slicer-long thin blade for large meats tip pointed or rounded; blade may be serrated 4. Boning -5 -7 inch blade used to remove bones
5. Paring-rigid 2 -4 inch blade used to trim outer layer from fruit and vegetables 6. Tourne- similar to paring; used to shape vegetables
7. Fillet-8 -9 inch pointed blade used to fillet fish; may be rigid or flexible 8. Butcher-6 -14 inch rigid blade whose tip curves up; used to cut meat, poultry, & fish
Knife Skills • Grip-several ways but comfort and task help determine which to use. • Control-guide the knife with one hand while you hold the food with the other. Use SMOOTH, EVEN STROKES, NEVER force the blade through the food
Knife Cuts 1. Chiffondae- 2. Rondelle-
3. Diagonal- 4. Mincing
5. Dicing- ¾ x ¾ inch 6. Julienne-2 inches x 1/8 inch
7. Batonnet-2 inches long x ¼ inch 8. Brunoise- 1/8 x 1/8 m inch cube
Knife Safety • 1. Correct knife for the task. • 2. Use a sharp knife. • 3. Cut with the blade AWAY from your body. • 4. Use a cutting board. • 5. NEVER let the blade hang over the edge. • 6. Hold if the handle w/blade down at your side. Sharp edge facing behind you.
• 7. Don’t catch a falling knife. • 8. Pass a knife only by the handle or lay it down with the dull side facing the other person. • 9. NEVER use a knife to do inappropriate tasks. (opening a can) • 10. NEVER leave a knife in a sink filled with water. • 11. Wipe the blade from its dull side. • 12. Wash, sanitize, and wipe knives before storage.
Knife Care • 1. Sharpening-draw the balde across a whetstone at a 20° angle. • 2. Trueing- after sharpening, slowly draw your blade against a steel @ a 20° angle. This keeps the blade straight and removes any irregularities.
• 3. Sanitize-wipe the blade and clean with a sanitizing solution. • 4. Store- in a slotted knife holder, knife kit, custom built drawer or on a magnet bar.