- Slides: 31
Get on Get off Get into Get out (of) Ride Drive Take off land
Describe the first time you traveled a long distance. How old were you? Where did you go? Who did you go with?
Speaking e. g. I first traveled a long distance by train when I was six years old. I went with my parents from Shanghai to Beijing.
Vocabulary 1. an area of land where it is always dry 2. valuable stones 3. people who travel on a train, bus or plain 4. you find this on beaches 5. where plaints grow desert diamonds passengers sand soil
Discuss 1. What sort of people do you think travel on the Ghan train? 2. What kind of towns and villages do you think the train passed?
Tell the man’s story using these phrases:
took a train broke down rush hour traffic jam missed the plain got on another flight bad weather landed in Bangkok arrived 12 hours late
Learning to learn Reading in English is one of the fastest ways of improving your English. When you read, the most important thing to do is to understand the main ideas. Look at photos, titles and the first sentences of each new paragraph. These usually contain some or all of the main ideas.
Grammar 1: The –ed form 1. Trained camels carried food and other supplies. 2. We saw abandoned farms which were more than a hundred years ago. 3. We ate great meals cooked by experts.
1. The computer center, _______ last 2. year, is very popular among the 3. students in the school. 4. A. open B. opening 5. C. having opened D. opened √
2. The dog, ____, will be made a good watchdog. A. to train properly B. being trained properly √C. properly to train D. trained properly
3. — How long has he been away, do you know? — Sorry, I can’t tell exactly when he _____, though I know he has already been away. A. was leaving B. has left C. would leave D. left √
Complete the table by putting the means of transport in the correct column. bicycle bus camel ferry helicopter horse motorbike ship plain taxi train tram
LAND SEA AIR bicycle ship helicopter bus camel ferry plain horse motorbike taxi train tram
Vocabulary Places: cinema circus kindergarten seaside sports park playground stadium swimming pool theatre zoo
Activities: learning to ride a bicycle … seeing a wild animal seeing a film learning to draw swimming meeting your best friend
Grammar 2 Past tense time expressions
Find the following time expressions that appear in “My First Ride on a Train. ” Recently… A ling time ago… During the day… A hundred and fifty years ago One night… Until the 1920 s At (about) midnight In 1925 Which of them can refer to past or present actions?
Use similar time expressions to complete these sentences. 1. People first started traveling by train 2. in_____. 1925 A hundred a fifty year ago there was a 2. ____________, huge railway station in the middle of the city, but it isn’t there any more.
Choose the best answer: 1. I first met Tom ten years ago. He _______ 2. in a radio factory at that time. 3. A. had worked B. has worked 4. √ C. was working D. has been
2. His father gave up smoking for only 3 days, but then ______ to his old ways. √A. returned C. had returned B. returns D. has returned
3. I used to drink a lot of tea but these days I _______ coffee. √A. prefer B. preferred C. had preferred D. am preferring
4. — Who’s the man over there? — It’s Jack. — Oh? ______ in Italy. A. I think he is B. I’ve thought he’s been √C. I thought he was D. I’d thought he’d been
Listening and speaking Listen to part of an interview and answer the questions.
Listen to the tape and try to put the pictures in the correct order.
Everyday English Interviewer Mary Lennon Tell me… Oh yes! Is that right? Not at all! Oh, I see. Absolutely! Goodness! Definitely!
Write your description of a trip. Use the past tense and include some expressions, such as “On the first day…”, “After lunch…”, etc.