- Slides: 24
ENGLISH 12 UNIT 6: TEST
I. Pronunciation: A. Pick out the word whose underlined and bold part is pronouced differently from that of the other words.
1. a. surname c. surplus b. sure d. surface 2. a. nature c. gravity b. change d. basic 3. a. food c. book b. took d. push
B. Pick out the word that has the tress differently from that of the other words. 4. a. subsequent c. government b. undergo d. enterprise 5. a. dominate c. agriculture b. substantial d. national
II. Vocabulary and Structure: 6. Thanks to economic reforms, our city has had a lot of______ a. roads b. slums c. changes d. apartments 7. There is no bargaining in a(n)________ a. shopping mall b. market c. big bulding d. course
8. Our main ______ is to increase sales in europe. a. aim b. purpose c. intention d. all are correct 9. There are too many people in hochi minh city. It is a (n)_____ a. changed b. crowded c. liked d. moved 10. The government has _____ top priority to reforming the tax system. a. given b. formed c. planned d. taken.
11. Hai’s case is typical of the “_______ drain” from state to private foreign companies in vietnam now. a. eyes b. brain c. hand d. nose 12. Linh decided to _____ a small business to trade in leather shoes. a. set up b. set off c. set back d. set to 13. This area used to be a (n) _____. People lived in badly built houses. a. flat b. palace c. cave d. slum
14. The _____ of this university helps offer more opportunities for adult students. a. establish b. establishment c. established d. establishing 15. Economic reforms help provide more and better _____ for local people. a. employ b. employed c. employee d. employment 16. I ____ to new york three times this year. a. have been b. was c. were d. had been
17. I’ll come and see you before I ____ for the states. a. leave b. will leave c. have left d. shall leave 18. Everyone has ____ the manager _____ his lack of responsibility. a. blamed/for b. prevent/from c. blamed/of d. rely/on 19. Following the Doi Moi period, many cities in Viet Nam have concentrated _______ replanning their districts. a. on b. in c. to d. about
20. Many companies have complained ____ not being able to get a location in the new industrial zone. a. of b. over c. at d. about 21. Viet. Nam’s goods have to compete _______ those imported under AFTA. a. to b. for c. with d. up 22. Those business travelers will stay ____ your hotel _______ three days. a. on/of b. to/ for c. in/ for d. on/for
23. The training center will be based _____ can tho. a. to b. with c. after d. in 24. Gateshead Millennium Bridge is situated ____ the banks of the river type. a. in b. with c. about d. on 25. We can see tourism marketing ____ us – adverts _______ TV, brochures in travel agencies. a. around/in b. around/on c. in/around d. on / around.
III. Reading A. Choose the item among A, B, C, or D that best answers the question about the passage:
One more student is Linh, a typicial Vietnamese businesswoman. Gone were the days when college graduates like Linh did not have to worry about a jod, thanks to the centralized planning system. A government job promises security, but it is not easy to compete with many others for one now. To avoid unemployment, Linh decided to set up a small business to trade in leather shoes. Now she has branches in three other provinces around Ho Chi Minh City. My students are still facing a lot of difficulties as competition is becoming tougher, when viet nam’s goods have to compete with those imported under AFTA, ASEAN Free Trade Area. But they all say they are not frightened, isn’t it wonderful?
26. Who is Linh? a. a teacher b. a worker c. a businesswoman d. a farmer 27. To avoid unemployment, Linh decided to _____ a. go to ho chi minh city b. sell hat to earn money. c. set up a small company to trade in leather shoes. d. set up a company to trade in clothes.
28. How many provinces around Ho Chi Minh city des she have branches? a. 1 b. 2 c. 3 d. 4 29. Viet Nam’s goods have to compete with those imported under ______ a. private foreign companies b. ASEAN Free Trade Area c. world trade organization d. a and b are correct.
30. What do the students say? a. they love it. b. they are not frightened c. thay say it’s wonderful. a. b and c are correct.
B. Choose the word or phrase among A, B , C or D that best fits blank space in the following passage:
Before the 1960 s, Singapore was essential a trading nation. Since ___(31)_____, it has developed a more __(32)______ economy and has become an important financial, trade, and transportation center. Singapore has __(33)______ banks, insurance, and finance companies, as __(34)____ as a stock exchange. Tourism is also important to the __(35)_____ of singapore.
31. 32. 33. 34. 35. a. then c. there a. various c. differed a. many c. much a. long c. much a. economic c. economy b. that d. those b. varied d. changed b. few d. more b. far d. well b. economics d. economical.
V. Writing: A. Choose the underlined part among A, B, C, or D that needs correcting
36. If I go to bed late in the evening, I had a b c a headache after that. d 37. The tickets that you ordered they will be a b c delivered tomorrow. d 38. He is the man that his novel won the Pulitzer a b c prize last year. d
B. Choose the correct sentence which has the same meaning as the given one.
39. “ Can you explain it in another way? ” she say a. she asked him if he can explain it in another way b. she asked him to explain it in another way. c. she asked him whether he could explain another way to it d. she asked him could he explain it again. 40. I remember telling you about the deadline for the assignment. a. I remember to tell you when the assignment was due b. I remember I have told you when the assignment is due c. I think I have told you bout the assignment’s deadline d. I think I have told you when you hand in the assignment.
THANK YOU GOOD BYE