ENGLESKI JEZIK 4
Engleski jezik 4 Udžbenik: Tourism III (R. Walker& K. Harding) Dvosemestralni predmet (završni ispit u junu) Elektronski kolokvijum (tip pitanja – višestruki izbor)
II kolokvijum - Test 4 Lekcije 11 i 12 (Tourism 3) Test 4 se radi u VI nedelji: Broj pitanja: 15 Broj bodova: 15 Vreme trajanja: 10/15 minuta Minimum bodova: 8 Tip pitanja: višestruki izbor (multiple choice)
GRADIVO 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. Clauses expressing purpose Clauses expressing result Clauses expressing concession Vocabulary Word formation (tvorba reči) Synonyms (reči istog ili sličnog značenja)
1. Clauses expressing Purpose 1. So (that) • So that is usually followed by can, may, will (not) for present/future time reference: You should study hard so that you can pass all your tests. • So that is followed by could, might, would (not) for past time reference: The police locked the door so that no-one could get on.
2. Infinitive of purpose • Jack went to England to study engineering. 3. In order (not) to, so as (not) to • These are more formal ways of expressing purpose: Scientists used only local materials, in order to/so as to save money. We booked early in order to get better prices. - The same subjects In order for things to get better, you need to seek professional help.
4. For + noun (intentions), for + ing (purpose or function of an item) • This button is for starting the engine. • He went to the bakery for a loaf of bread. 5. In case + Present Simple or Past Simple • I’ll take an umbrella in case it rains. • He gave me his telephone number in case I wanted to call him.
6. With a view to/with the aim of + ing form • She is here on an extended stay with a view to maybe moving in with him. • He took evening courses in Marketing with the aim of getting more qualifications. 7. For fear (that) + subject + might/would (negative purpose) For fear of + noun/ing-form • I didn't want to take a guess for fear that I would be terribly wrong. • No one dared refuse the order for fear of losing their job.
2. Clauses expressing result 1. So + adjective/adverb + that clause • Jim was so tall (that) he hit his head on the ceiling. • They shouted so loudly that everybody heard them. 2. So + adjective + a/an + noun + (that) • It was so boring a documentary that I fell asleep. 3. Such + (a/an) + (adjective) + noun + that clause • Helen is such a busy person (that) she never feels bored.
• She was wearing such strange clothes that everyone was looking at her. 4. Such + a lot of + noun + (that) • I’ve put such a lot of weight that I don’t fit into my clothes any more. 5. So much/many/few/little + noun +that • There were so many passengers (that) we couldn't find a seat.
6. Too + adjective + to infinitive • The table was far too heavy to lift. 7. Not + adjective + enough + to infinitive • The table was not light enough to lift. Emphatic - inversion: So bad was the book that I stopped reading it. Such was the young boy’s excitement that he jumped up and down.
3. Clauses expressing concession 1. Although/even though + subject + verb • Even though Ted had the necessary qualifications, he didn’t get the job. 2. In spite of/despite + noun/-ing form/what • Sally didn’t want to give her old books away despite not needing them. • In spite of what you may think, that’s not the cause.
3. In spite of / despite + the fact + that-clause • He went outside despite the fact that we wasn’t feeling well. 4. However / no matter how + adjective / adverb + subject + verb • However hard she tries, she never manages to finish her work on time. (She tries hard. However, she never manages to finish her work on time. )
5. Whatever / no matter what + clause • Nobody pays attention to him anymore, no matter what he does. 6. Adjective / adverb + as / though + subject + verb (be, become, seem, appear, feel, sound, etc) Very emphatic and formal • Tired though/as she was, she offered to help us. (Although she was tired, she offered to help us. ) With may Strange as it may seem, we had a good time. . (Although it may seem strange. . . )
7. But / while / whereas + subject + verb • I like travelling by plane, while/whereas my husband doesn’t. 8. Still / yet / however / nevertheless / nonetheless + subject + verb • She has been a teacher for a very short time, yet the children adore her. • He stepped forward, his arms at his sides, but I was nonetheless within his personal space. • He was born with deformities in both legs but nevertheless became a champion rider and high jumper in his teens.
Examples: 1. Why don’t you take a sandwich with you ______ you get hungry? a. for fear that b. so as not to c. in case d. so that 2. I’m looking for a gadget specifically designed ____ pineapples. a. for slicing b. in order to slice c. to be slicing d. so as to slice 3. _______feeling exhausted, she knew she had to get up and make dinner. a. in spite b. despite c. although d. even though
4. ______construction was paused until we could find additional funding, we still finished on time. a. Even though b. in spite of c. despite d. for 5. The fire broke out _______faulty wiring. a. for b. despite c. even though d. because of 6. Patricia decided to stop for coffee, _______the fact that she was already late for work. a. even though b. whereas c. in spite of d. however
4. Stručne reči Reči iz udžbenika iz lekcije 11 i lekcije 12 do strane 107, kao i reči sa strana 138 i 139 (Unit 11 Listening, Unit 12 Listening). a) Potrebno je izabrati odgovarajući termin za ponuđeno objašnjenje/definiciju. Primer: 1. to pay for things that will reduce carbon dioxide in order to reduce the damage caused by it a) offset b) generate c) carbon credit
2. Used in economics to describe a country whose economy is growing fast a) migrant b) tigers c) flag carrier 3. Give so much information that a person has no opportunity to act a) frills b) spoon-feed c) launch
b) Potrebno je ubaciti odgovarajuću reč u datu rečenicu ili datu reč zameniti odgovarajućim sinonimom. Primer: 1. Congratulations for your _____ in watching the government and thereby protecting us all. a) envy b) breed c) vigilance
2. Students are ______ accommodation on a yearly basis. a) allocated b) established c) dumped 3. Yesterday's event saw an impressive _____of artists, who displayed a range of activities that will be on offer. a) cabana b) glide c) array 4. If you see someone in difficulties, you should always give them a/an _____. a) Arm b) hand c) finger
c) Potrebno je datu reč zameniti odgovarajućim sinonimom. Primer: 1. And of course the desire is to make an impressive first impression. a) dazzling b) ornate c) intrusive 2. Framed by the nearby mountains, the oasis is complete with sandy beaches, huts, a spa and water slide. a) swirls b) prospects c) cabanas
5. Word formation (Tvorba reči) Potrebno je ubaciti odgovarajuću vrstu reči u datu rečenicu. Primer: 1. The marketing strategy is to create a point of difference that is _______ to the patient. a) meaningful b) meaningfulness c) meaningless
2. Peace, security, and the ______of poverty were high on the agenda. a) alleviation b) alleviate c) alleviated 3. I'm not averse to the ______ glass of champagne myself. a) occasionally b) occasion c) occasional
Stojim Vam na raspolaganju ukoliko imate bilo kakva pitanja ili nedoumice. [email protected] ac. rs SREĆNO!