- Slides: 17
Three Goals of Public Speeches • Inform • Persuade • Entertain
Rules of Thumb in Demonstration Speech Development: • Rule #1: Select a topic you are familiar with – Hobbies – Skills – Pet Peeves – Job – Favorite Sports
• Rule #2: Analyze your target audience (target market) – Who are they? – What are their interests? – What do they like? – What are their needs?
Topic Brainstorm Activity • • • How to make: How to fix: How to create: How _____ works. How _____ is produced or made.
Demonstration Speech Example • Specific Purpose: I want to demonstrate how to make an easy party mix. • Why is it important for your audience to know how to do this? High school students love to snack and this recipe is fast, easy, fun and filling.
TIME-OUT Take 3 MINUTES to develop a catchy introduction for this speech. Topic: Demonstrating the ultimate party mix to teenage audience
#1. Catchy Introduction “You’re hosting the after-prom party at your house when you notice that all of your guest appear unenergetic, bored and hungry. You run to the kitchen only to find empty bags of Doritos that your middle school brother already consumed. Guests are threatening to leave your party for a better one down the street. Don’t let this happen to you! Be the ultimate after-prom party host by serving the ultimate party snack food. ”
#2. What will you show/teach the audience? “Today I will teach you how to make the ultimate sweet and salty snack combination for your party. ”
#3. Why did you select this topic ? and/or Why should your audience know how to do this? “You will enjoy making this perfect party snack because it is full of flavor, easy to prepare and inexpensive. ”
#4: Tell the audience that they simply need to follow your instructions. “You too can make this ultimate snack by following four simple steps. ”
• #5: Teach the audience “how to” through step by step instruction. • #6: Utilize “talking points” throughout demonstration to create interest. • Interesting, fun relevant points • Researched, relevant information
#7: Step-by-Step Instruction • Step #1: Gather all necessary ingredients for the ultimate snack. – 2 Bags pre-popped popcorn – ½ bag M & M’s – ½ can salted peanuts – ½ bag marshmallow – 1 large bowl – 1 large wooden spoon – Cups for serving
• Step #2: “Pour 2 bags of popcorn into large bowl as the base of the recipe. ” – Talking point: “I chose Orville Redenbacher Smart Popcorn because it contains less fat than the regular butter popcorn. ”
• Step #3: “Next, combine ½ bag of M & M’s, ½ can salted peanuts and ½ bag of marshmallows to the popcorn. ” • Talking Point: “You could also substitute candy corns for the marshmallows for a festive Halloween party snack. ”
• Step #4: “Use a large wooden or plastic spoon to mix all ingredients together. ” • Step #5: “Guests can use festive party cups to scoop their own sweet and salty party snack or you can place a ladle inside the bowl to use as well. ”
#8: Dynamic Conclusion • “Now that you know how to create the ultimate party snack, get out your calendar, make your guest life, head to the grocery store and throw the ultimate party at your house. ”