- Slides: 12
Cold War “Hot Spots” Vietnam Shera Casseus Carmirlyta Despeignes Wanise Saintil
Imperialism Vietnam � The people of what is now Vietnam started fighting for independence against the French imperialists, and the usual political battles and instability ensued. � It motivated Vietnam to fight hard. � France make their lives miserable for years. � Now Us want to do the same thing to takeover to they will fight hard. � Ho chi minh create communist.
NGO DINH DIEM � Ngo Dinh Diem was born in January 3, 1901 in a rich family. � He was a communist and he joined the us and he made himself president of republic of Vietnam in 1955. � Ngo imprisoned many Buddhists' and that caused the U. S stopping giving support.
Ngo Dinh Diem & US policy �Ngo Dinh Diem was governing the south Korea after Vietnam had been separated. �He ruled South Korea as a dictator. �A group of Vietnamese who hated Diem, assassinated him. �After Diem’s death, the US decided to increase its involvement in stopping communism in Vietnam.
When did The Troops go to Vietnam and why? � The Troops were first sent to Vietnam in 1965 due to the Golf of Tonkin Incident. � President Lyndon B. Johnson was encouraged by his advisors to take up a more forceful approach to the Vietnam conflict and to send in US troops to bolster or support the South Vietnam Army.
What is the Golf of Tonkin Incident? � The Golf of Tonkin was a incident in which North Vietnam had attacked the USS Maddox in the Gulf or Tonkin which resulted in assaults on August 2 nd and 4 th of 1964.
US Policy �Many soldiers were sent to fight in South Korea �Years later, President Nixon had a plan called Vietnamization which allowed US troops to pull out in South Korea. �Nixon passed that plan because many Americans lost their lives in battles in Vietnam �Bombs were dropped on Vietcong hiding places by the authorization of Nixon.
Kennedy and his Policy �Kennedy promised to support the government of Vietnam �He believed that if south Korea fell to follow communism, all the states would start to follow it too �Charles De Gaulle president of Paris warned Kennedy that the Americans would fall before the Vietnamese military �As a response, Kennedy started to prepare and wellsupplied the Americans
Attacks on South Vietnam � In 1969, General Vo Nguyen Giap, who was in charge of North Vietnam’s Army believed it was time for North Vietnam to conduct an surprise attack on the south. � Coordinating with Vietnams congress, they decided to move troops and the communist made a diversionary attack against the American base at Sanh. � They both attacked South Vietnam during the Tet Holiday (Lunar New Year). They attacked around 100 cities but the South and Americans fought back and won. � It took about 3 weeks for the U. S troops and the South to regain control and took almost a month to rebuild cities.
U. S Reaction on Vietnam war � The U. S public were appalled by the Vietnamese war. The government was to help repel the communist aggressions from the north. � Americans grew increasingly dissatisfied with the nations policy. � Some that were described as “Hawks”, argued that the Americans should se maximum force to gain a quick victory. � Others described as the “Doves”, argued that the conflict in Vietnam was a civil war in which the untied states had no right to interfere, therefore, they wanted immediate withdrawal.
Legacy/U. S Response �legacy is the identification of the war as being only one part of America's history at the expense of the Vietnamese people themselves. �The Vietnamese were successful in building their nation �Opinion polls show Gallup opinions polls show the 46% of American approved president Johnson's handling of war in 1968. �The other 54% did not approved they were against it.
Links � http: //history 1900 s. about. com/od/1960 s/qt/tetoffensive. ht m � http: //www. historylearningsite. co. uk/johnson_vietnam. ht m � http: //www. discoverthenetworks. org/view. Sub. Category. as p? id=316 � http: //history. howstuffworks. com/vietnam-war/vietnamwar 2. htm � http: //911 review. com/precedent/century/tonkin. html � http: //history 1900 s. about. com/od/1960 s/qt/vietnamtroops. htm � http: //history 1900 s. about. com/od/vietnamwar/a/vietnam war. htm