- Slides: 56
• • • Choose a category. You will be given a question. Give the correct answer or solution. Click to begin
Click here for the final question
IPM Roles & Responsibilities Cockroaches Rodents Bed Bugs 10 Points 10 Points 20 Points 20 Points 30 Points 30 Points 40 Points 40 Points 50 Points 50 Points
What tool should you always have in your hands when inspecting?
To what two things does IPM reduce exposure?
1. Pests 2. 2. Misuse of pesticides (over exposure or use of risky and illegal pesticides)
What are 3 examples of exclusion?
1. Caulk 2. Wire Mesh 3. Weather Stripping 4. Door Sweeps 5. Screen 6. Trash Cans With Lids
What does “integrated” mean in Integrated Pest Management (IPM)?
“Integrated” means that the team uses many approaches that work together to manage pests.
Why is using an IPM log important?
Communication and documentation for the IPM team
Who has the responsibility of bed bug preparation for the PMP?
The answer is site-specific. Responsibilities may vary by the type of tenant: 1. Elderly 2. Disabled 3. Those unable to afford to do preparation
Who is responsible for overseeing the IPM program?
What are 3 responsibilities that the residents have?
1. Keep units clean and clutter -free 2. Observe 3. Report 4. Educate 5. Prepare units for PMP visit
Who is responsible for reporting pest sightings and needed repairs?
Everyone. This is a TEAM effort.
What should the PMP do upon arrival?
• Ask questions • Look in the IPM log • Inspect the property • Identify pests
What are the 4 most common types of cockroaches found in multifamily housing?
1. German Cockroaches 2. American Cockroaches 3. Oriental Cockroaches 4. Brown Banded Cockroaches
Why should you clean up cockroaches, body parts and frass?
Cockroach frass and body parts can cause or trigger allergies and asthma. Dead cockroaches may contain live eggs that are about to hatch.
What’s wrong with this? Hole Bait Station
The hole should have been filled with copper mesh and caulk/foam. The bait station should be flush with the entry point or plumbing line.
What 3 things make cockroach bait less effective?
1. Strong-smelling cleaners 2. Pesticide sprays 3. Nicotine from cigarette smoke
List 3 areas in a multifamily building (outside of units) where cockroaches may feed and hide.
1. Trash Chutes 2. Boiler Rooms 3. Dumpsters 4. Crawl Spaces
Which has a wider range, rats or mice?
Rats Their range can bring them inside AND outside.
What are 2 health and safety issues that rodents cause?
1. Bites 2. Asthma and allergies 3. Food contamination 4. Fire hazard from chewed wires 5. Bringing other pests such as fleas
What’s wrong with this rodent control? Mouse Hole Boric Acid
Boric acid works on cockroaches (not rodents) AND the hole should be filled.
Which are curious, rats or mice?
Which trap is placed correctly? A B
B. With the edge of the trap touching the wall. Rodents like to keep their sides in contact with a wall at all times.
True or False? Bed bugs are found only in beds.
Can a person with no arm strength prepare for a bed bug treatment?
No They will need help bagging objects, vacuuming, and moving furniture away from the walls.
True or False? A resident can take care of a bed bug infestation on his or her own.
Can an IPM treatment for bed bugs be done in one visit?
No At least 2 visits will be needed even if the second is an inspection.
How do bed bugs get into a multifamily building?
They hitchhike on people, their belongings, and furniture.
Make your wager
Give 4 reasons why IPM is better than conventional pest control.
1. Reduces exposure to pesticides 2. Makes homes healthier 3. Gets rid of pests and their allergy-causing frass 4. Prevents future pest infestations