- Slides: 25
2012 DSE English Language Paper 1 - Reading
Part A (47 marks) GAME BOYS GET UNPLUGGED
1. Look at the following expressions from the text and put a tick in the correct column. Polar Cafe n Line 3: …low-tech, switched off, unplugged. Internet Cafes n Line 4 -5: …sit at computer terminals and race virtual hotrods… Playing alone
1. Look at the following expressions from the text and put a tick in the correct column. Expressions switched off race virtual hotrods play alone unplugged Polar Cafe ✓ Internet Cafes ✓ ✓ ✓
4. In para. 3, ‘going back to’ refers to Para. 1: Introduce a board games café, which is switched off and unplugged n Lines 11 -12: What is the world coming to? (Or going back to? ) n
6. What was Pat’s and Dee’s life like before they opened the café? Lines 11 -12: Pat Pornpiranon and Dee Sattarujawong opened Polar Board Games and Café one month ago to slow down the pace of life a bit. n
7. Cafes specializing in board games are popular in… ¡ ¡ n A. Germany and the USA B. China and South Korea C. Germany, the USA, China and South Korea D. Germany, the USA, China, South Korea and Thailand Lines 28 -29: Cafes specializing in parlor games have caught on in South Korea and China.
8. Decide whether the statements are True, False or Not Given. Customers can play board games for two hours if they buy two drinks. Lines 11 -12: The drinks at Polar Café cost around Bt 80 (approx HK$20) and for that price you can try out any game for an hour. Buy another drink and play for another hour. n
8. Decide whether the statements are True, False or Not Given. You need good English to play games imported from Germany or the US. Lines 39 -41: There’s little foreign text to slow you down, and anyway you get Thai instructions and the staff can help you with the rules. n
8. Decide whether the statements are True, False or Not Given. Pat thinks computer games are not as challenging as some board games. Lines 47 -50: …I found a lot of interesting board games that were more challenging than anything on the computer. n
9. Find a word in para. 10 that means ‘originality’. Line 52: It has a prestigious award for creativity called… n originality (n) creativity (n) n
11. What is the meaning of ‘dreary’ (line 57)? ¡ ¡ n A. fun B. lazy C. happy D. boring Line 57 -59: …lazy afternoons or dreary family get-togethers where no one can think of what else to do except eat.
12. According to para. 12 -17, what do each of the following people say can be learnt from playing board games? Pat n Line 69 -71: Kids learn to watch the tiles carefully and think twice before every move. It’s good for teaching problem solving.
12. According to para. 12 -17, what do each of the following people say can be learnt from playing board games? Aey n Line 88 -90: Thai children should get to play games like this to learn about teamwork and society…
13. Write the name of the game under the picture. Write NG for the game not given in the text. Line 66: …place tiles to form paths… Dixit NG Line 105: …players receive cards… (kids of) Carcassonne Railways to the World Line 96 -97: …build railroads to deliver goods to cities…
14. Write the letter of the speech bubble on the line next to the person given. Benson n Line 82 -83: It promotes sharp wit and logic skills which I can use in my marketing job.
14. Write the letter of the speech bubble on the line next to the person given. Dee n Line 115 -116: It can also improve children’s vocabulary…
14. Write the letter of the speech bubble on the line next to the person given. The writer n Line 120 -121: …have you seen the latest i. Pad and Xbox Kinect? How can you compete with that?
15. What is the writer’s tone in para. 21? ¡ A. positive ¡ B. worried ¡ C. doubtful ¡ D. neutral n Line 120 -121: …have you seen the latest i. Pad and Xbox Kinect? How can you compete with that?
16. According to Pat, why do parents want to keep their children away from the TV and computer? n Line 124 -128: …get back into more interactive things now…Activities that get families together can only be a good thing.
17. Which of the following is the best alternative subtitle for this article? A. Café patrons swap their high-tech games for old-fashioned ones. ¡ B. Parlor games are more popular than computer games. ¡ C. Board games are winning awards in the gaming world. ¡ D. Parlor games are a hit in Thailand’s cafes. E. g. Polar Café ✓ board games ✘ high-tech games ¡ n
18. Complete the advertisement using one word in each blank. Para. 23: Polar Board Games & Café is in Phase 2 of the Crystal Design Centre on Ram Indra-Ekamai Road and is open weekdays from 1 pm to 9 pm and weekends from 11 am to 10 pm. Find out more at (083) 133 0743 or www. polarplaygames. com.
19. Why are board games making comeback? Give one reason from the text to support your answer? Ø Ø Line 15 Lines 47 -49
19. Why are board games making comeback? Give one reason from the text to support your answer? Ø Ø Lines 74 -75 Lines 122 -123
20. Can board games compete with computer games? Give one reason to support each point of view. Yes No Ø Board games are more … too … Ø You can play with a Ø Computer games … are more … Ø Board games are … than computer games