2 MIKE MAZZALONGO What About Tithing Tithing in

  • Slides: 19
Download presentation
2 MIKE MAZZALONGO What About Tithing?

2 MIKE MAZZALONGO What About Tithing?

Tithing in the Old Testament Tithing = 1/10

Tithing in the Old Testament Tithing = 1/10

Existed before the Law was given to Moses. (Genesis 14: 17 -20)

Existed before the Law was given to Moses. (Genesis 14: 17 -20)

Division of the Promised Land 1/10 People → Levite → Priests

Division of the Promised Land 1/10 People → Levite → Priests

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are things you should have done without neglecting the others. - Matthew 23: 23

The Tithe #10 = Fullness, maturity, completeness

The Tithe #10 = Fullness, maturity, completeness

Now then, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then

Now then, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is Mine; - Exodus 19: 5

The first 10% sanctified the remaining 90%.

The first 10% sanctified the remaining 90%.

Tithing and the New Testament • Not a New Testament Concept

Tithing and the New Testament • Not a New Testament Concept

Tithing and the New Testament • Not a New Testament Concept • Pledging =

Tithing and the New Testament • Not a New Testament Concept • Pledging = Personal Commitment

Tithing and the New Testament • Not a New Testament Concept • Pledging =

Tithing and the New Testament • Not a New Testament Concept • Pledging = Personal Commitment • Tithing an obligation

New Testament Teaching on Giving On the first day of every week each one

New Testament Teaching on Giving On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come. - I Corinthians 16: 2

New Testament Teaching on Giving 1. Give regularly

New Testament Teaching on Giving 1. Give regularly

New Testament Teaching on Giving 1. Give regularly 2. Each member gives

New Testament Teaching on Giving 1. Give regularly 2. Each member gives

New Testament Teaching on Giving 1. Give regularly 2. Each member gives 3. Each

New Testament Teaching on Giving 1. Give regularly 2. Each member gives 3. Each member prepares for the gift

New Testament Teaching on Giving 1. Give regularly 2. Each member gives 3. Each

New Testament Teaching on Giving 1. Give regularly 2. Each member gives 3. Each member prepares for the gift 4. Give according to what is received

But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know

But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, - Matthew 6: 3

Summary: Giving • On the first day • Each person • A prepared amount

Summary: Giving • On the first day • Each person • A prepared amount • Tied to gratitude and not Law