- Slides: 38
1. second only to. . . 仅次于 • He is second only to my own son in my affections. 我除了爱我的儿子，最爱他。 • Coffee rank second only to tea as a most popular drink. • I think that, as a writer, he is second to none. 我认为, 作为一个作家, 他是最好的。 那个英国游泳选手得第二。 • The English swimmer came (in) second.
2. border n. 边缘；边界, 国界 • on the border of vt. vi. 与. . . 接壤，接近 在. . . 的边界上；将要; 接近于, 濒临于 • The river lies on the border between the 那条河在美国和墨西哥的边境上。 US and Mexico. • China’s border with Russia • Her handkerchief has a lace border. • Canada borders the United States. 美国接界于加拿大 • The United States borders on Canada.
3. defend… from/against. . . 面临危险时，采取措施抵制进攻；辩护 protect. . . from/against. . . 提供某种保护，来驱开不适、伤害或疾病 guard. . . against. . . 注意观察、戒备，看守 • The cover protects the machine from dust. • Physical exercise can protect you against heart disease. • The castle was built in 1549 to defend the island against invaders. • The police are guarding the entrance to the embassy.
4. frozen freezing • • • be freezing cold freezing point freezing weather fresh / frozen fish You must be frozen! Come and sit by the fire. • be frozen to death / be frozen dead • be frozen with fear / terror / fright
5. seemingly • a seemingly impossible task • a seemingly endless / limitless source of water • They were seemingly unaware of the decision. 他们似乎并不了解这个决定。 • There is seemingly nothing we can do to stop the plans.
6. abundant • The seas and rivers are abundant in fish. 这个国家天然资源丰富。 • The country is abundant in natural resources. • an abundant supply of fresh water
7. The vast majority of Canada ' s population of • have a population of. . . • What’s the population of. . . ? populate vt. 居住在…中 人口密集、稀少 • be heavily/ thickly / thinly/ lightly populated 人口稠密的市区 • heavily / thickly populated urban areas • thinly / lightly populated rural areas
8. thrilled [not before noun] very excited, happy, and • • pleased be thrilled to see / hear / learn. . . be thrilled about / at / with. . . be thrilled that. . . a thrilling end to the story 惊心动魄的；令人兴奋的；毛骨悚然的
9. be known internationally for … • be known all over the world • be famous worldwide • be world-famous
10. Located in the heart of. . . is the Canadian National Tower, which is. . . be located in / near / on. . . 位于 [= be situated. . . ] 商行就在市中心。 • The business is located right in the center of town. 坐落在学校附近，那家超市很容易找到。 • Located near our school, the supermarket is easy to find. • It’s a small town located 30 miles south of Chicago (在Chicago 向南 30英里).
11. be called. . . for short for • Her name’s Jo – it’s _______ Josephine. for • Her name's Josephine, or Jo ______ short ____. be short of • He’s disorganized, inefficient, never there when you want him - ____, the man's hopeless. in short / in brief / in a word / in summary 总而言之，简而言之；概括地说
(05福建）— Why didn’t you buy the camera you had longed for? — I had planned to. But I was ￡ 50 _______. A. fewer B. less C. cheap D. short
12. Montreal , …and also the second largest French-speaking city in the world, Paris being the largest. 独立主格结构，在句中作状语(精英 P 133) 1. n. / pron. + doing • Time / Weather permitting, we shall start tomorrow. • The decision (having been) made, the next problem was how to make a good plan. 2. n. / pron. + done • The job finished, we went straight away.
3. n. / pron. + to do Here are the first two books, the third one to come out next month. 4. n. / pron. + 非动词(n. / adj. / adv. / prep. phrase) He entered the room, his nose red with cold. Dinner over, we decided to play games. He went off, gun in hand. The workers ran out of the ship, many of them with their clothes on fire.
• There are 55 students in their class, whom most of ____ are boys. • There are 55 students in their class, (being) most of them ____ boys. • There are 55 students in their class and _______ most of them are boys.
(2007，重庆25) The children went home from the grammar school, their lessons ______ for the day. A. finishing B. finished C. had finished D. were finished (2007，山东 33) The country has already sent up three unmanned spacecraft, the most recent _____ at the end of last March. A. has been launched B. having been launched C. being launched D. to be launched
13. be lost to • Quebec, which was originally colonized by France, was lost to the British in 1763. 被英国接管 • My daughter was lost to me when she married. 女儿结婚之后就不再属于我了。 • He was lost to the world in this task. 他忙于这项 作而对周围的一切漠然处之。
14. cover an area of • What is the area of …? It has an area of 2, 000 square miles. • The city covers (an area of)25 square miles. They had hoped to cover 40 miles yesterday. The award should be enough to cover her tuition fees. 'Exercise' is a word which covers a vast range of activities. He was sent to Northern Ireland to cover the peace talks.
15. consist of • It’s a simple dish to prepare, consisting mainly of rice and vegetables. 由米饭和蔬菜组成 consist in 存在于，在于 • The beauty of the plan consists in its simplicity. 这个计划妙就妙在简明扼要。
16. the most widely recognized natural phenomenon 他被公认为是陶器(pottery)方面的权威。 He was recognized as an authority on pottery. a recognized authority on pottery a well paid job a newly built library a curiously shaped piece of wood
17. fortune • seek one’s fortune 找出路 • make a fortune 赚了一笔钱 • tell one’s fortune 算命
18. feature vt. 以. . . 为特色；是. . . 的特色 博物馆的展品突出介绍殖民时代的绘画。 • The museum’s exhibits features paintings of colonial times. • The new movie features /stars two of my favorite actors. 这部新片由我最喜爱的两位演员主演。 • feature / show a film 放映影片
19. outdoor enthusiasts • a baseball/sports ______ enthusiastic • You don’t sound very _______ about the idea. enthusiasm • Employers showed little ______ for the new regulations. an enthusiast for sth.
20. due to the large amount of immigration [u] 外来的移民, 移居入境 immigrant [c] 外来移民 emigration [u] 移民出境, 侨居 emigrant [c] 移居外国者
21. cater to every shopping need cater to / for 满足，投合 电视必须迎合各种人的口味。 • TV must cater to different tastes. • It is the kind of movie that caters to boys.
Phrases: • second only to Russia • defend…from/against • be abundant in • be located in • for short / be short for • be lost to the British • be home to • cover an area of • on the football pitch /field • consist of /be made up of • be the most widely recognized nature phenomenon
Phrases: • be shaped like • seek one' fortune • a handful of people • go (perfectly) with • award Canada the honor of being the best country to live in • outdoor recreation (His only recreations are drinking beer and watching football. ) • throughout/all through the year • due to the large amount of immigration • enjoy the comforts of home
Reading Strategy sorting out information 1. What to sort out: Information about four cities/the whole country Information about nature / tourist attractions 2. How to sort them out: making a table with different headings
How to write about a country? Category Location Description The Arctic, the USA; the Atlantic, the Pacific Size and population Second largest; 30 million Frozen wastes, mountain Geography ranges, open plains, rivers and forests Toronto, Montreal, Major Vancouver, Edmonton Cities Niagara Other Falls Gold rush in 1896 interest Maple History l
Functional sentences 1. Sentences to describe the location Canada has vast areas of …, from …, where …, to…with. . . , which… On the eastern and western boundaries, the country borders… Located in the heart of Toronto is …, which… Smaller in size, but equally famous, is the city of Vancouver in the province of BC on the Pacific coast.
2. Sentences to describe geography: vast Within this huge country, there are _____ frozen wastes, ____ mountain ranges, ______ open plains, ______ enormous countless rivers and __________ seemingly endless forests.
3. Beautiful scenery is just one of the treasures Canada has to offer. 承上启下，过渡自然 4. The vast majority of Canada’s population of about 30 million people is urban. 介绍人口，句式简单但信息量大 5. You will be thrilled by …-- all known internationally for their metropolitan lifestyle, beautiful architecture and unique culture. 高度概括四座城市的共性——主题句
Sentences with participles 1. Rising 553 meters into the sky, it is the tallest tower in the world. 2. Montreal is also the second largest French-speaking city in the world, Paris being the largest. 3. There are old…, all alongside glass and steel and concrete skyscrapers reaching upwards.
4. It is like an underground city, covering an area of more than 20 football pitches. 5. The mall consists of eight kilometers of tunnels, filled with shops, art galleries and even a water park. 6. There are many museums showing what life was like back then.
Long sentences 1. As a modern city, Montreal has colorful nightlife, with many restaurants and clubs, as well as cultural and street festivals to ensure that no visitor is ever bored. 2. Vancouver has superb scenery, a harbor and all the comforts of modern life and international cuisine, in addition to being close to the most popular wilderness and ski areas.
Inversion and ellipsis 1. Located in the heart of Toronto is … 2. Smaller in size, but equally famous, is … 3. (As / Being) Another multicultural (As / Being) city, it has one of the largest Chinese populations in North America.
Other sentences 1. You will be thrilled by …, all known internationally for their metropolitan lifestyle, beautiful architecture and unique culture. 2. No visit to the west coast is complete without a stop in …